Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Big question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big question

okay yes i have searched some but did not find an answer that im looking for. anyway a old friend of mine has a old 12 bolt rear in his basement that is out of a chevelle. and would sell it to me for really cheap. now my question is would it be cheaper to buy this rear from him and have it sent in to get worked on to fit my car, or would it be cheaper just to buy a new rear in already set up for my car?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque arm modification to make an old one work in a later model chassis will be too costly. You should get that early model diff and sell it on one of the Chevelle net's...... cuz it will net you some damn good money. Then take what you made and purchase what you need to get, that doesnt require so much modification to fit your chassis.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Teching In

anyone else have any input?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forget the Chevelle unit, it's installed very differently than the f body units.Also the center section castings I believe on the Chevelle were just cast iron, not the nodular iron used today. Refabbing all the bracketing would be a lot of work.