Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

So I broke my 12 bolt...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry So I broke my 12 bolt...

Wish I could say I did this breaking into the single digits at the track, but no... Instead it happens at about 6mph on my way to work. I just put this rear in less than 2 months and 2k miles ago, babied it intensively until I changed the gear lube at about 1k, have yet to launch it, and it still breaks on me under about as mild a throttle application I can apply.

I noticed intially that there was some amount of gear whine and every now and then a slight clunk when I first shifted into gear, but from talking to a tech at Moser and looking around the forums here it sounded like everything was within "normal." Obviously I was sadly mistaken. Considering the vehilce still drives and I limped it into a nearby parking lot for inspection, I don't believe anything is wrong with the axles or the differential itself. The car has a vibration from the rear when it moves and a slight clunk when I turn. (This gathered from about a 100 yard trip to it's current resting place.) Looking back on the way it sounded/behaved, I now believe the the backlash was probably set too loose, putting excessive strain on the pinion and most likely one or more of the teeth on the pinion gear broke off. Now I need to contact Moser and figure out exactly what is going to be done about a warranty as I am extremely dissatisfied with this $2500 part right now. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom as to what they think happened or how to handle things now, by all means comment.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EliteSS
Wish I could say I did this breaking into the single digits at the track, but no... Instead it happens at about 6mph on my way to work. I just put this rear in less than 2 months and 2k miles ago, babied it intensively until I changed the gear lube at about 1k, have yet to launch it, and it still breaks on me under about as mild a throttle application I can apply.

I noticed intially that there was some amount of gear whine and every now and then a slight clunk when I first shifted into gear, but from talking to a tech at Moser and looking around the forums here it sounded like everything was within "normal." Obviously I was sadly mistaken. Considering the vehilce still drives and I limped it into a nearby parking lot for inspection, I don't believe anything is wrong with the axles or the differential itself. The car has a vibration from the rear when it moves and a slight clunk when I turn. (This gathered from about a 100 yard trip to it's current resting place.) Looking back on the way it sounded/behaved, I now believe the the backlash was probably set too loose, putting excessive strain on the pinion and most likely one or more of the teeth on the pinion gear broke off. Now I need to contact Moser and figure out exactly what is going to be done about a warranty as I am extremely dissatisfied with this $2500 part right now. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom as to what they think happened or how to handle things now, by all means comment.

did you drop the pumpkin?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Haven't moved the car from the parking lot. I worked all weekend and the car trailer is 120 miles from here.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/388856-broken-abs-ring-my-12-bolt.html
Old 10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

who set up the rear end? Maybe its not the parts fault it failed...maybe the setup is what broke it.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
did you drop the pumpkin?
He has a 12 bolt, not a 9 inch.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Teching In

That's true. I still have to get the thing towed to a shop, and I guarantee that the problem lies with an incorrect setup. I broke that in quite carefully.