Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

installing axles

Old 10-02-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing axles

i searched and couldent find anything about installing axles in a 10bolt. but anyways, i got me a used 10 bolt with 3.42's and the axles are out of it. what kind of lube do i need to lube the bearings with before i slide the axles in? and is their anything i need to know about before doing so?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bolton98TA
i searched and couldent find anything about installing axles in a 10bolt. but anyways, i got me a used 10 bolt with 3.42's and the axles are out of it. what kind of lube do i need to lube the bearings with before i slide the axles in? and is their anything i need to know about before doing so?
I used this page when I pulled my axles:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

I don't know if you need to pack the bearings first or not... I didn't replace mine, just the axle, since it wasn't scarred. Maybe someone else can help you out there.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spray em with a little WD 40 and just slide em in. No lube needed, they are lubed by the axle lube.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might want to change out the bearings and replace them along with the seals. $30 worth of parts for some added piece of mind. I recently had my rear axle bearing cause all sorts of spalling on the stock axles. It was noisy and ugly.

Search this Thread