Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What's the best way to get axle bearings out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy What's the best way to get axle bearings out?

I got one side out with a slide hammer, but now the other side won't come out. The bearing is all torn up, so it MUST come out. I've already beaten the dog-**** out of the damn thing, and it still isn't moving. (only falling apart) Any ideas short of getting a pipe and running it through the other axle tube then beating it out? I really need some help on this one. Thanks.
-Marc
Old 10-14-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
I got one side out with a slide hammer, but now the other side won't come out. The bearing is all torn up, so it MUST come out. I've already beaten the dog-**** out of the damn thing, and it still isn't moving. (only falling apart) Any ideas short of getting a pipe and running it through the other axle tube then beating it out? I really need some help on this one. Thanks.
-Marc
The pipe is a pretty good idea, also, you might be able to cut it in half with a dremel and get it out.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a pipe, and before I try the Dremel, I was told to try and heat up the bearing. I don't have a torch, but I do have a heat gun that is rated at 1000 degrees. Ever heard of doing this?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you got everything out (diff etc..) go to home depot and get a steel rod, pipe, whatever. I have even used socket extensions
You can cut and chisel it just take your time
Old 10-14-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well scratch the heating up idea; the MSDS says the flash point of the gear oil is like 292 deg. Well, with a 1000 deg. heat gun, that's not good. It also says it can explode violently. Lets not heat it. I'm going to cut the damn thing out.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good man, thinking of the MSDS - safety first ! Especially at home !

BTW, how are things in Lafayette these days ? Pretty crowded I hear (my cousin runs the city motor pool, I'm from Alexandria originally).

Good luck with it, if you still have trouble post pics and we will help you figure it out !
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=1&#32794
im thinking about one of these to get my bearing out. VATOZONE also rents them i hear.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, traffic has gotten pretty bad since the storms. Other than that, thte city is growing. (I've been gone for the past five years) Lots of new stuff has popped up. Thankfully, we weren't hit bad by either storm.
I think I've got the bearing problem about fixed (or it will be in the morning). I'm just going to cut what's left of it out.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5550racing, if I could've found something like that, I definately would've used it. Its kinda late now, though. One lesson learned - make sure to have all necessary tools on hand prior to starting a job!

EDIT: Trying to cut it was useless; that metal is pretty tough stuff. I found a tool similar to the Matco one for checkout at Autozone. Good suggestion! Autozone for having the tool check out service! All you have to pay is a refundable deposit. After beating on the thing with a slide hammer for hours, it came out after about five solid hits with that attachment on the slide hammer. It obviously works much better than the three forks trying to grab the back of the thing.

Last edited by Marc '99T/A; 10-17-2005 at 10:59 AM.