Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end whines like a mofo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rear end whines like a ****!!!

so i bought this 2000 trans am m6 noticed a little whine from the rear end so i decided to change the rear end fluid. noticed that this rear end had been rebuilt due to the exsessive copper gasket maker on the cover and the pinion side of the rear end. so i used the good royal purple fluid (no GM additive) toped her off everything was cool. started drivng it and the noise got worse. 55 to 60 and you cant hear ****. the exsaust tone is not loud enough to cover up this whine with on open cutout. so i've used the search button and came to the conclution that maybe they over tightened the pinon nut... any imput before i take it apart again. 12 bolt would be nice but being a collage student the funds are minimal. as some of you can relate...
Old 10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have aftermarket gears in the car?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

they had a GM stamp on them...
Old 10-14-2005, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

forgot to mention, the right rear wheel has hit a curb and bent the wheel. (previous owner). i took the wheel off put it on stands, started it and let out the clutch, the hub has no wobble to it but im sure its messed up. the car does not have any surging effects, or cluncks, just a whine. a loud whine!
Old 10-14-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem, turned out to be one of the bearings. I had the place that rebuilt it go ahead and throw some 3.73s in there at the same time. They also gave me the bearing that was making the noise and man, was it fucked! Huge pits in all of the rollers.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

i think i read your post thats what made me think it was a bearing. what shop in austin? would you recomend them? PM if it violates sponser rules to say the shop's name.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5550racing
i think i read your post thats what made me think it was a bearing. what shop in austin? would you recomend them? PM if it violates sponser rules to say the shop's name.
Ygpm
Old 10-14-2005, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

nice. thanks alot.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5550racing
forgot to mention, the right rear wheel has hit a curb and bent the wheel. (previous owner). i took the wheel off put it on stands, started it and let out the clutch, the hub has no wobble to it but im sure its messed up. the car does not have any surging effects, or cluncks, just a whine. a loud whine!
A nice curb hit will most always cause wheel bearing noise afterwards. I've seen it many times
Old 10-14-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same whine problem just about 3,000 miles after i had a local trans shop put in a spec 3 and billet flywheel. They also replaced my pinion seal. they torqued the pinion nut too much or too little, either way messing up the gear lash, this caused premature wear. gears started hummin like a **** coming back from school for the weekend. now my cars on jack stands in garage....blown rear end. 3.73 gears and a rebuild kit are in the mail...since i've got everything apart right now, my trans is at D&D performance in wixom MI gettin a rebuild. rear ends goin ?somewhere? when the gears come in. got all new BMR suspension for when it goes back together! thank god i've got scholarships payin for my school right now or i'de be SCREWED!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

i got to pulling the axle out or the car tonight. well i have got the passenger side axle out. was a PITA for a while till i figured out you have to take the TCS deal off so the hub and axle will slide in far enough to get the clip out. so anyway im looking at the bearing (that is still in the axle tube because i cant get the S.O.B. out!) and it has minor pits on it. it is not a mirror finish. but it has some slack in it so i am hoping this is it. i looked at the carrier bearing and cant tell anything is wrong from the looks of it. well im going to autozone tomarrow to rent the axle bearing puller so... well i can get the axle bearing out . but to anyone who is listening ill try to post up on the outcome.