Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Help Asap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Asap...

My car is at the shop right now and I need to figure out what to do here...

I just bought a new Moser rear end 12 bolt. The shop that put in in said the car's drivetrain was making a noise that was definitely the U Joints. I gave the go ahead and it wasn't the U joints. Then they said it MUST be the driveshaft. I bought a NEW G2 aluminum driveshaft from lmperformance.com (which oddly enough came with new U joints on it) and now they say it is still making that noise. The owner of the shop called me and now said he thinks it could be in the tranny. I blew out the rear when I was whooping on a new GTO, so he said that there might have been so much torque when it blew that it took out the tranny too. Does this sound plausible? I would think it would stop at the driveshaft, and that it wouldn't destroy the whole drivetrain. Anyone?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very unlikely it is the tranny. Have them open the 12 bolt, remove the diff, put the axles back in (just to seal the oil in) and the cover back on, fill it with oil and run it a little on the lift. If the noise is there, it is either the pinion, DS, or joints. If you swap old and new DS and it does it still, it's not the DS, which means it is the pinion.

You can run it briefly without the DS in the tranny to see if that is the noise, but it will probably run a lot of oil out of the tranny unless you have the car nose down 4 or 5 degrees.