Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveline vibration problem, version 2001.3254

Old 10-24-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline vibration problem, version 2001.3254

I hope this is in the right forum. If not, I apologize.
After taking it to 3 mechanics, and spending literally hours reading through threads about driveline vibrations, I've come to little or no conclusion about mine. PLEASE HELP ME. Here's the skinny:

The car: '01 SS, 6 speed, LS6

The symptoms:
I have a nasty vibration in the car at about 70 mph in 6th gear. It doesn't seem to happen (or at least be as noticeable) with the T45 out of gear, but in gear it sends my Pro 5oh into convulsions. It's there whether accel or decel, and only seems to happen in 6th. I would compare it to when you try to take off from a stop in 5th. It's that bad.
Now, I replaced the worn out trans mount with a poly mount, and of course the vibration is still there, it's just more solid now, and through the car, instead of just in the trans/shifter.

The changes:
Here's the hard part. The vibration started after installing a new Spec 3 clutch, resurfaced OEM flywheel, new pilot bearing, lower LCA relocaters, Hotchkis drop springs, and adjustable panhard bar. (I did more, but these were the mods I thought would affect it.)
I had the flywheel resurfaced at O'Reilly's, and it looked OK. I didn't rebalance it. I had a hard time lining up the holes to the crank holes, but I think it would only go on one way, so it should be in alignment. The PP and clutch disk went on easily, as did the new pilot bearing.
The adj. panhard bar was a little bit of a challenge to line up, but it seemed OK also, and went on pretty easily. It should be centered.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA!!!111!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You just need some good old fashioned normal troubleshooting. If it only happens in 6th gear at 70mph, not 5th gear or 4th gear, then it is definitely not in the DS or rearend, because everything there is spinning the same speed regardless of what gear it is in. If it does it in every gear, then it may be in the rearend area. If it does it at the same rpm, regardless of what gear it is in, then it is in the flywheel/clutch area.

Post up more details, and we'll do more keyboard troubleshooting.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK kids, here's the update. Changed the flywheel, had it and the clutch balanced. Everything seems a little better, but it's not gone away completly. Now I would say that I can feel it at low RPM, and that it goes away at higher RPM. If I engage the clutch, it seems to go away. Could it be my crank pulley?

Search this Thread