Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Hurst auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hurst auto shifter

i saw this hurst auto shift on the link provided below and it looks bad a** i was wondering if anyone had one of these in there f-body and if they could post up a link to it in the car. once my next paycheck comes in im gonna get this, but my only question is... does it fit in the stock console?

http://www.racepages.com/performance...ped_brand=true
Old 01-29-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

What kinda tranny you got? I suppose your talking at the V-Matic 2, cool shifters but have to be used on 350 and 400 tranny's. To me ratchet shifters are the fastest and best!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

it says it fits 99-02 auto camaro v6 and v8. do i have to have an after market transmission or something? i dont know what tranny i have but the transmission i have is the stock auto that comes on a 01 v6 camaro. i think its a hydra-matic 4L60-E electro 4 speed transmission
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That shifter, based on the part number, fits only 1973-1981 Camaros (1970-1981 Firebirds). Currently there is no aftermarket auto shifter for late model F-bodies. Although B&M is currently working on one.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
That shifter, based on the part number, fits only 1973-1981 Camaros (1970-1981 Firebirds). Currently there is no aftermarket auto shifter for late model F-bodies. Although B&M is currently working on one.
how is that possible when the link that i posted says 99-02
Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellis028
how is that possible when the link that i posted says 99-02
Ive got this property in the ninth district just out side of new Orleans...you might be intrested in buying....ginmmie a call

J/K
Old 01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mellis028
it says it fits 99-02 auto camaro v6 and v8. do i have to have an after market transmission or something? i dont know what tranny i have but the transmission i have is the stock auto that comes on a 01 v6 camaro. i think its a hydra-matic 4L60-E electro 4 speed transmission
If it the stock tranny, then yes you have a 4L60E. Here's the link to Hurst's site on the V-Matic 2's http://www.hurst-shifters.com/Produc...minselection=1. They won't work on a 4L60E but they'll work if you switch to a 350, 400 or 700R4 tranny. The 4L60E is an electronic transmission that doesn't work with aftermarket shifters like the older trannies do. You might be able to graft a shifter handle over top of the stock shifter handle, to get the look of the V-Matic 2, but you won't be able to use the entire shifter itself sorry to tell ya. I did a bunch of research when I got my first TA and I wanted to put a B&M Mega Shifter in it (which is the equivalent to the Hurst V-Matic 2) but after a bunch of research realized it wasn't going to work.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
If it the stock tranny, then yes you have a 4L60E. Here's the link to Hurst's site on the V-Matic 2's http://www.hurst-shifters.com/Produc...minselection=1. They won't work on a 4L60E but they'll work if you switch to a 350, 400 or 700R4 tranny. The 4L60E is an electronic transmission that doesn't work with aftermarket shifters like the older trannies do. You might be able to graft a shifter handle over top of the stock shifter handle, to get the look of the V-Matic 2, but you won't be able to use the entire shifter itself sorry to tell ya. I did a bunch of research when I got my first TA and I wanted to put a B&M Mega Shifter in it (which is the equivalent to the Hurst V-Matic 2) but after a bunch of research realized it wasn't going to work.
i basically just want the handle for now. later down the line when i get headers, cam, and all that good stuff i might look into doing other mods to my transmission. i mainly want the hurst shifter in that T look because i ordered the billet ***** for my HVAC and light **** and that hurst shifter would match those billet ***** perfectly and would look real nice. anyone know where i can just get the handle for a 2001 auto camaro? prefer the Tbar billet look
Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone help me please. i just want a hurst shifter handle to work on my stock transmission and console... like the trans am wagon thing. please help!!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Don't know if it'll work the same way but you might be able to fab something up like they did in the Hurst Hauler. I've been asking questions about how to fab up the handle and how to properly use Helicoils which is a big key into getting the handle to fit properly. I was thinking of putting something like that in my car but I'm also looking into getting a new tranny so I might still do it just to see if I can but not for sure what kind of tranny I'm going to get so I don't know. I'm going to price everything just to see what it's gonna cost me but I think it'll look cool for a while. If you want to do something like a Hurst shifter then plan on doing some hands on work and spending some time to get everything just right. I see that you looked at my Helicoil post so you're gonna have to figure out how to use them and when you need them. If you do it, good luck. I might try soon too.

Quick Reply: Hurst auto shifter