Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much GM diff additivie to put in for "Quiet" operation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much GM diff additivie to put in for "Quiet" operation?

I am looking to quiet this thing down as much as possible today. Exactly how much GM Limited Slip Additive do would I put in first? I will then add the 80w90 non-synthetic.

This is a 98 WS6 with the Auburn diff and in Arizona if that makes a difference on the lube. I just want this thing quiet now!

Got it back from the shop after they filled with Redline Syn and it howls like crazy. Said they put in additive also.

All the search shows is people buying 12 oz. bottles or something but nothing on how much to put in.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait a minute. Everyone says not to use Synthetic with the Auburn.

The 1998 owners manual says to use 75W90 synthetic (GM part #12378261) and then add 4 ounces of Limited Slip Additive (GM part # 1052358). I'm guessing the book is for the standard Firebird as stated on the front cover. I will disregard this info for a WS6.

Auburn Web Site FAQ's says:
2.) What kind of oil should be used with an Auburn differential?

It is important when installing Auburn differentials that a high quality, non-synthetic 80w90 GL-5 oil, treated with GM or Ford limited-slip additive (also known as friction modifier) be used. Three ounces of additive will treat one quart of oil.

So it looks like 6-7 ounces of additive with 2 quarts of 80W90 is the answer.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some 85w-140 GL5 and a bottle of additive may help cover up some of your noise better that the 80w-90.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks but Ya know this is just terrible engineering. I've just about had it with this guess work BS on these F-Body cars.

I put in 80W90 and 7 oz. of additive. Still howls so I dropped in another 2 oz. Still very bad. It's just dam embarassing when people get in the car, as nice as the WS6 looks, and then ask "what's wrong with your car". I never put a client in it anymore!!!

You would think they could have done something over the 20+ years this rear end has been around to make it more "user friendly".
Old 02-06-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are changing fluids and noises are still present....sounds to me like you have a bad bearing somewhere in there.

Whining usually means bad gear set-up...howling means bearing going bad.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
Thanks but Ya know this is just terrible engineering. I've just about had it with this guess work BS on these F-Body cars.

I put in 80W90 and 7 oz. of additive. Still howls so I dropped in another 2 oz. Still very bad. It's just dam embarassing when people get in the car, as nice as the WS6 looks, and then ask "what's wrong with your car". I never put a client in it anymore!!!

You would think they could have done something over the 20+ years this rear end has been around to make it more "user friendly".
It sounds like it is time to get in there and fix the real problem. No miracle oil and additive is going to help with that.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, good point. Bearing issue would not surprise me since its been doing since 10k miles. Dealer just kept replacing fluid. That would be consistent with this/these cars...

Rocker arm needle bearing failure - 21,000 miles
Power steering cooler failed (mixed PS fluid into the radiator fluid)
Both headlight motors failed and replaced (ground out the plastic gears)
Both power window motors replaced (up very slow and then stop)
Power antenna
and on and on and on....
All with less the 35,000 miles on the car and hardly ever get on it, ever!

I guess should have drove it more then 6k miles a year to have everything break under warranty. Well here goes another grand!!! Crap car anyways.