Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

reluctor ring and studs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reluctor ring and studs

I just picked up a used axle that i am going to be putting in my 99 z28 w/4 channel. What i need to know is how to take off the reluctor ring from my old axle to put it on my "new" axle.The search turned up nothing, I am guessing that you heat the ring up and hammer it off and then reverse the process to get it back on the new axle. Is this the correct way of doing it or will i ruin the ring? Also I wil be swaping over the studs too. How do I get them out of the old axle without destroying the studs?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT beat on the reluctor rings. PRESS them off. If you bend the ring it's done.
For the studs.... thay can also be pressed out(while you're having the reluctors done )or put an old lug nut on the end and beat 'em out w/a dead blow hammer(using care to strike the studs square/straight as not to bend them). To reinstall, put the studs through the axle flange and use an old socket and another lugnut to suck the stud back through the hole until seated. Use oil on the threads of the stud while you're cranking on the nut.

Also, use a few drops of red locktite on the knurled shoulder of each stud.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get the reluctor rings off without a press, just heat them up with a MAP gas torch (propane will do, just takes longer) by applying the flame to the periphery of the ring. I clamped my axle in a vice with the flange up, then started heating the ring. If you get it hot enough, it will fall off. I didn't wait that long, once it was pretty hot, a little gentle prying with a screwdriver and she slid off.

Good luck !
Old 02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

KI heated mine up with a torch and my brother gently pried the ring off. It was still hot enough that it fit right on my new Moser axles. No BEATING
Old 02-06-2006, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys, its the wonderful members here that make this site great.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

I would recommend pressing them on & off