Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise from rear end!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise from rear end!

My car is making a weird knock noise in the rearend. It only does it when the transmittion shifts down, or in 4th gear when I'm just lopping around(mabie 1000-1500 RPM) and step on and of the gas, not agressively, but just enough. It almost sounds like their is gap or slack in the driveshaft to the rear end. Like when the driveshaft turns, it takes a second for it to turn the rear end, and when it does its like a metal to metal clash. If anyone knows what the problem might be please post....Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to jack the car up and check to see if the problem is in the tailshaft of the tranny, a loose D/S, or something wrong inside the rear.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

well the rear does make a constant clicking noise when I go around turns at whatever speed. I dont believe the rear end fluid has ever been changed but I don't think thats causing the metal to metal sound. How do I know if it's a loose drive shaft after it's jacked up, that does sound like it could be the problem, but I've never heard of anything like a loose driveshaft problem before.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just jack the car up with the E-brake on and grab the D/S with your hands and try to twist it back and forth. There should be a small amount of play but not much. Or you could just check and make sure the rear bolts that hold it to the pinion flange are tight.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks, it will be this weekend though before I can jack it up and check the D/S.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

check the u-joints as well.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:34 AM
Launching!

Checking for DS play with the e-brake on would be checking the u-joints... wouldn't it? It's 430 am... am I missing something? lol
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

im haveing the same problem except for mine is on the 2-3 shift.
evoryone keeps telling me it is an abused 10bolt but it only does it when shifting into 3rd, that wouldent make any sence.

i think ima take my cover off to change the fluid this weekend and see if anything is lose in their.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bolton98TA
im haveing the same problem except for mine is on the 2-3 shift.
evoryone keeps telling me it is an abused 10bolt but it only does it when shifting into 3rd, that wouldent make any sence.

i think ima take my cover off to change the fluid this weekend and see if anything is lose in their.
My rear has been through alot though, and wouldn't be surprised if it was going out. But why would it only do in on certain occasions?

Be sure to post and let me know how it goes. I was going to do the same thing, but I'm short on cash.. Jobless college kid.... If it doesn't solve your problem, than I'm gonna use my income tax to buy a used rebuilt rear. How many miles are on your car.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 273sunsetZ
My rear has been through alot though, and wouldn't be surprised if it was going out. But why would it only do in on certain occasions?

Be sure to post and let me know how it goes. I was going to do the same thing, but I'm short on cash.. Jobless college kid.... If it doesn't solve your problem, than I'm gonna use my income tax to buy a used rebuilt rear. How many miles are on your car.
it just so happens i have a stock 3.42 rear here needing a good home and it's got sunsetz wrote all over it.i'll have it on a shelf waiting a new home.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow trap
it just so happens i have a stock 3.42 rear here needing a good home and it's got sunsetz wrote all over it.i'll have it on a shelf waiting a new home.
Whats your price???

Where in Tennessee do you live
Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Check your u joints i had the same problem in my s10.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

my car has 81k miles on it, the rearend on the other hand only has about 45k on it but it was out of a 6spd car, so who knows how much hell it has been through.

i talked to one of my instructors at school and he said it sounded like slack in the driveline and the tranny does not shift into gear the same in evory gear, it may just be takeing a little bit longer to shift in that one gear, enuff to let the slack out abd then put more force on it causing it to clunk.

and what u-joints are you talking about checking? ime look into this also.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bolton98TA
my car has 81k miles on it, the rearend on the other hand only has about 45k on it but it was out of a 6spd car, so who knows how much hell it has been through.

i talked to one of my instructors at school and he said it sounded like slack in the driveline and the tranny does not shift into gear the same in evory gear, it may just be takeing a little bit longer to shift in that one gear, enuff to let the slack out abd then put more force on it causing it to clunk.

and what u-joints are you talking about checking? ime look into this also.
What has to be done in order to take the slack out of the driveline? Does this have anything to do with u-joints? In park I pushed it back and forth and it seemed it had a bit of play. Though, my dads truck had more.. Is this a kind of problem I should address at a delearship, "slack in the drive line," to see if they agree? I don't think anything is wrong with the transmittion, because when i race the sound is unnoticable(mabie just because of LM.. Don't Know), and It still pulls hard in high RPM(not slipping). Plus I beat a ram air the otherday, which should be around the same as me...
Old 02-15-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

i work on 15th street, less than a mile from where you go to school at.find out if it's your rear or not and if it is i'll sell it to you for 300.00 and i can help you install it too.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow trap
i work on 15th street, less than a mile from where you go to school at.find out if it's your rear or not and if it is i'll sell it to you for 300.00 and i can help you install it too.

I'm still not sure if it's the rearend or not...If it is the rearend my dad wants me to put a 12bolt in it so it will hold up and I wont have these problems anymore..
Off Subject
Do you have a shop here in Cookeville.. I am looking for someone to help me put some LTs and Y-pipe on..
Old 02-16-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

no i work at a machine shop but i could help you put them on at work,that's where i work on mine at.i would suggest a 12 bolt also.let me know when you're ready and we can put them on.do you have o2 sims also ?here is me numbers=526-1537 at work,260-4268 on cell. my name is mark.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

I have the extentions, but I don't have the sims.. Waiting to find some cheap used ones. How much are you going to charge to help me install the headers.. I'll give you a call this evening, I have to go to class..