Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

$2200 for a new rear end??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2200 for a new rear end??????

OK, so i my 2002 with 32,000 miles is making a howling noise from the rear end. I brign it to the dealership and they tell me that the ring and pinion and all the bearings are shot cuase metal got in the fluid. They said $981 for a new ring and pinion and then plus all the bearings and labor would be 2200...if the axels were not bad. They said if axels were bad it would be 400 more. I know Im getting screwed, but what do I do???? they want $200 to put it all back together. Im am seriously pissed!!!! **** GM!!! WHy would a 2.73 auto rear end go bad at 32K? Im not rough on it at all. HELLP!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work at a dealer and can tell you that yes, it is expensive, and yes you are screwed. Pay them the $200 and get your car back. Bring it to private shop that specializes in tranny and rear end work.
You will not get anywhere with a dealer or GM because of the mods you have. You may not beat on the car at all, but, as a technician, seeing the mods will tell me otherwise.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another option is to go through your insurance.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

You could just about get a new aftermarket 12-bolt or 9" for that price. If you didn't want to go that route, I'd take it somewhere else, an independent shop. That stealership isn't even remotely fair. Good luck man, you'll get through it.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pay the money get it out and replace the rear, who are we trying to kid we all beat on these things why else do we have them!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

One of my "bright ideas" was to forget about the 9" or 12 bolt. Just goe with the 9.5" rearend their putting in the GM P/U trucks.....3,000 just for the assembly....but talk about bulletproof!!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to order a 12 bolt and install it yourself. Kill two birds with one stone!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a group purchase going on right now regarding the new Strange Engineering S60 (Dana-60). It's stronger than the 9" but bolts up as easy as the 12-Bolt. https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/462423-strange-s60-dana-60-sale.html

35-spline axles
Tru-Trac
9.75" ring gear
3 or 4-channel (ABS, Traction Control)

Through the group purchase you could pick it up for less than $2200.

Any information you desire on this rearend has been discussed in the above link, and here... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=461100&page=2

Read up on it and you will understand why I bought one.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** the dealer. I work in a dealership, I know what goes on. $2200...hehehe! Are they kidding? They midas well just said "We would be happy to replace your POS rear for another newer POS rear and rip you off at the same time."

For that money, go with a 12-bolt with your choice of gears, and have it installed by anybody but the dealer.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many, many people have made the mistake of taking a broken stock 10 bolt rear end and just rebuilding it, either by them selves or by a shop (ONLY to have it break fairly quickly down the road (literally down the road from the dealership)). the way i c it, u have a few options. option one: bend over, smile, take it in the *** from the dealer and have them rebuild ur rear end. option two: for the same price as a rebuild would be, buy a new 12 bolt (or even stronger 9") rear end and install it urself (not all that hard really, or have a shop install it for you for maybe a few more hundred)... i think option two is the better choice, cuz i dont really like butt secks and you can beat the hell out of that rear end and never worry about it goin bad (though its not indestructable... nothing is)
Old 03-04-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Spend a little more and buy the 12bolt or 9". I think mine was around 2350.00 for everything I needed + the cost of labor. My total in the end was around 3100 or so.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Man i'm going through the same thing get a traylor go get the car. Go to thunderracing.com and order you a 12 bolt they run from 1900 to 2300 depends on what you want i suggest 33-spline axles. i have a friend running 10.0s with a 250 shot of nos. he has about 50 or 60 passes on it and no problems yet!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

My only problem is I have to drive the car to Texas from P-cola in 2 weeks so I dont have the time to put a rear end in myself. I am working everyday except this weekend until I move. I have to find someone to do it for me STAT. I am trying to get ahold of John02SS cause he has a perfomance shop around here. Im gonna see what he charges for a new 12 bolt and if it is the same as the dealer for a crappy 10 bolt im gonna have them slap the cover back on and crawl it over there.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 AM
cry-baby buyer

okay, look at the sponsors column to the right. Tennessee salvage. Used rearend complete like $400.00 maybe cheaper

Alan
Old 03-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Teching In

it's an easy install jus make sure you get the same brake set up you have now and it shouldn't take but a couple hours
Old 03-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01350ss
I work at a dealer and can tell you that yes, it is expensive, and yes you are screwed. Pay them the $200 and get your car back. Bring it to private shop that specializes in tranny and rear end work.
You will not get anywhere with a dealer or GM because of the mods you have. You may not beat on the car at all, but, as a technician, seeing the mods will tell me otherwise.
true advice very true
Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your best bet would be to just get a 12 bolt and put it in..it wouldnt be that hard..and plus that drive from texas back would be a good time to put miles on and break in the new rear end
Old 03-07-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so heres what is going on. I can't get a 12-bolt put in by the time I leave cause moser is all backed up. GM said they would cover half of it until the Pontiac dealer found out I had modified the car. They told me they did not want to work on the car after that. So I flipped them the bird and drove off. Thanks to John02SS, he gave me great place to go just up the road from me. The owner laughed when I said $2200 + Tax. He is putting in 3.73s for me for 650-750 with all new bearings and everything. That sounds about right. Then it's off to have the speedo retuned for the 2.73 to 3.73 jump. Gotta keep the 10 bolt, but it was my only option. At least im getting 3.73s outta the deal. Thanks everyone and especially John02SS!

Greg
Old 03-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Long story here....

I had to go to recruiter school in Columbia, SC from Killeen, TX.. but before that I took leave to visit my 2 sons in Las Vegas, NV and drove my Formula.. when my visit there was done I drove the Formula East intending to go to SC. Only somewhere in BUMFcked Oklahoma the rear end took a crap at the same time my alternator took a crap.. so I was stuck on the side of the freeway in the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma and had to be in SC in 2 days somehow according to my orders. So a guy pulls in behind me with New Mexico tags and his sister and GF pulls behind him.. apparantly they were moving east.. the guy had a piece of crap VW hauling a trailer of furniture.. it had held up as long as Oklahoma so I accepted a ride and left my car on the freeway. It was more important to get where I was going in time to me. (although it was a huge issue in my head) so.. we drive along and his car keeps overheating.. apparantly my bags in his trailer and my body weight was enough to push his little broke car over the edge, and it finally broke down just across the Arkansas border.. so I helped him find a parts store to buy a new thermostat and then bought him new coolant and jugs of water.. called a cab to take me to the nearest Greyhound station.. got there and waited until well after midnight to get my bus.. they had to wake a local driver to bring a new bus for us in the station because about 50 of us were stranded there due to a hurricane going on in the Southeast which stopped a lot of Greyhound lines. Anyhow.. I finally get on the bus.. and get into Columbia.. took a taxi to Ft Jackson and made it inside of 2 hours to report.

So my next step was to deal with my car still on the side of the freeway in Oklahoma.. luckily I took note of the phone number of the nearest car shop off the freeway 12 miles up the road while I was passing by. I arranged for them to get my car.. only problem was.. this town was so small that they didn't have a wrecker so they called the highway patrol to tow it in which cost me 50 bucks. In the meantime I was calling OK highway patrol asking them not to tow it into impound.

The guy gets it into his shop.. fixes the alternator and I don't know what hje did to the rear end but the guy assigned the car to one of his mechanics.. so the mechanic (this is out in the boonies in Oklahoma) decides to joyride my car after it's back together and blows the rear end totally up. From the stories I have heard from the locals.. there was smoke fire and everything.. I'm not exactly told this by the owner but I am told the guy who was working on my car had been fired and the rear end was cracked open and he couldn't fix it. He said he knew of a couple of good ole boys locally that built and raced cars and maybe they could, so I said sure that actually sounds better to me.

Long story short through all of that I paid 800 bucks for a new rear end (10 bolt.. used) and the alternator.. because I simply could not be there to fix it myself. I picked the car up on my way home last August back to Texas and it's been fine since then. no track runs.. some fast driving and launches on the roads if it's safe to do so.. but nothing is breaking. I have plans for a 9 inch in the future, but 2200 for a stock rear end is a rip off.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wo, that blows! I would be so pissed off if someone who was supposed to fix my car took it for a joy ride and broke the ****. I've been ripped off before involving cars and I learned to deal with it. But, if some redneck POS took advantage of me while I was in a different state he might have to worry about his house "accidently" burning down in the middle of the night or something of that sort.