Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is my rear blowing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my rear blowing?

That might not sound right but anyway's I just bought a 98 m6 z28 with some minor mod's like lid/filter, ported maf, msd wires, Hurst shifter, tune and 4.10 gears. I've been seeing a lot of talk about 4.10s in stock rear ends not lasting long at all and its getting me worried. It seems like from talking to the previous owner that the gears have been in the car for around 20k miles and I notice what seems like a slight shake accelerating in first and second gear, usually while making a turn onto a street while the cars cold. Could this be the gears taking there toll on the rear end or something else? My buddy has been trying to get me to take the car to the track for 1/8 mile drags but I don't want to have to be towed home. Car is said to be dyno tuned at 315rwhp and 325rwtq. thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Teching In

does it make noise when cruising to a stop....kinda like a humming/crunching noise? Thats the noises my rear end made when it was on its way out. It didnt do it so much when taking off as it did when it was slowing down or coming to a complete stop.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Does it have a limited slip or locker?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Go give it hell, till it breaks, its gonna break wether you get on it at the track or on the street.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Launching!

If I had 2500 bucks lying around I'd go break mine right friggin now! But I don't...
Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

if I could I would buy a 9" or 12 bolt but that's just not possible right now. It doesn't seem to make any noises while slowing down but I do hear a whine under the exhaust sometimes which should be normal I'm told when going to 4.10's and from the 50 ft 1st and 2nd gear burnouts I was doing last Saturday it does have a limited slip or locker of some sort.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Mine has always made a whining noise, during accel and when slowing down, its just the rearends, as for goin out, you never know about them, when its there time they go, some hold up good when drag racing some dont, good luck !
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my friend had 410s in his TA blew the gears right out the casing that was a bad scene and he was parked and went to put it in reverse and ka boom
Old 03-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LastHawk02
my friend had 410s in his TA blew the gears right out the casing that was a bad scene and he was parked and went to put it in reverse and ka boom
was he at 5k when he put it in reverse or something??
Old 03-22-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no he was stoped i dont know what happened it was a prett big mess
Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by duffman2
That might not sound right but anyway's I just bought a 98 m6 z28 with some minor mod's like lid/filter, ported maf, msd wires, Hurst shifter, tune and 4.10 gears. I've been seeing a lot of talk about 4.10s in stock rear ends not lasting long at all and its getting me worried. It seems like from talking to the previous owner that the gears have been in the car for around 20k miles and I notice what seems like a slight shake accelerating in first and second gear, usually while making a turn onto a street while the cars cold. Could this be the gears taking there toll on the rear end or something else? My buddy has been trying to get me to take the car to the track for 1/8 mile drags but I don't want to have to be towed home. Car is said to be dyno tuned at 315rwhp and 325rwtq. thanks
I'd look for a broken tranny mount, which is all too common in these cars as GM chose to use the tranny to help with the rear suspension. The torque arm connects from the rear to the tranny from the factory, and causes the tranny mount to break. I'd use a pry bar and see if it is loose. This might be what the slight shake while accelerating is from. Bob
Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I'd look for a broken tranny mount, which is all too common in these cars as GM chose to use the tranny to help with the rear suspension. The torque arm connects from the rear to the tranny from the factory, and causes the tranny mount to break. I'd use a pry bar and see if it is loose. This might be what the slight shake while accelerating is from. Bob
thanks ill give that a try, is it the mount between the trans and the cross member?