Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

looking to get a new rear..couple of ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking to get a new rear..couple of ?'s

im looking to get a moser (want to keep my abs). my ? is will the stock driveshaft and u joints fit?(have an aftermarket shaft already). and will the stock swaybars, lca's, and panhard bar bolt up? (the swaybar is stock, but the lca's and panhard are rod end adjustables). im looking to do up the drivetrain and suspension this summer until i can decide on what direction i want to make power in. rather i stay na,bigger cubes or go fi.

whats the difference between a moser 12 bolt and moser 9"? any weight difference? whats this true track i keep hearing about? this is for a weekend warrior with very seldom trips to the track.
thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ZDOG, what ABS ystem are you running? If you are running a 3 chanel system then the 12 bolt is the only assembly that will accept it. The 4 chanel
can be set up for either a 12 bolt or 9" and I can set up a 12 bolt to accept your stock driveshaft u-joint, the 9" will require a conversion u-joint. What other options are you looking for, ratio, differential, etc.

Scott@DLS
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A4 or M6? The conversion u-joint is like $28 at NAPA so go with the 1350 yoke.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

m6, i got the 3 channel setup. as far as final gear ratio im caught between stock 3.42 or 3.73. reason being i may be going fi. from what ive been reading truetrac is fine for me. no c clips. ill be running the stock sway bar for a while then id like to go to a strano set up.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by ZDOG
im looking to get a moser (want to keep my abs). my ? is will the stock driveshaft and u joints fit?(have an aftermarket shaft already). and will the stock swaybars, lca's, and panhard bar bolt up? (the swaybar is stock, but the lca's and panhard are rod end adjustables). im looking to do up the drivetrain and suspension this summer until i can decide on what direction i want to make power in. rather i stay na,bigger cubes or go fi.

whats the difference between a moser 12 bolt and moser 9"? any weight difference? whats this true track i keep hearing about? this is for a weekend warrior with very seldom trips to the track.
thanks
Since you mentioned you already have an aftermarket driveshaft, you need to find out if your shaft has a 1310, 1330 or a 1350 yoke. Stock is a 1310, Lingenfelters is a 1330, and a good heavy duty shaft will have a 1350.

The Moser 9 inch cannot be had with just ABS. If your car has ABS/TCS (ABS & traction control) then it is not a problem as that is an option. If you have ABS and you really want to keep it, you will have to go with the 12 bolt. The 12 bolt is not a bad way to go, it just isn't as stout as the 9 inch. For up to 550 rwhp, I recommend the 12 bolt, above that I would go with the 9 inch.

The Truetrak is a stouter center unit than the Eaton unit, and it does not make any noise like a Locker does. Over the last two years since Moser started offering the Truetrak, I sell way more Truetrak equipped Mosers than I do the Eaton.

The Moser 9 inch is a little heavier than the 12 bolt, probably somewhere in the 20 pound range. The added weight is not in that bad of a spot though... Bob
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Since you mentioned you already have an aftermarket driveshaft, you need to find out if your shaft has a 1310, 1330 or a 1350 yoke. Stock is a 1310, Lingenfelters is a 1330, and a good heavy duty shaft will have a 1350.

The Moser 9 inch cannot be had with just ABS. If your car has ABS/TCS (ABS & traction control) then it is not a problem as that is an option. If you have ABS and you really want to keep it, you will have to go with the 12 bolt. The 12 bolt is not a bad way to go, it just isn't as stout as the 9 inch. For up to 550 rwhp, I recommend the 12 bolt, above that I would go with the 9 inch.

The Truetrak is a stouter center unit than the Eaton unit, and it does not make any noise like a Locker does. Over the last two years since Moser started offering the Truetrak, I sell way more Truetrak equipped Mosers than I do the Eaton.

The Moser 9 inch is a little heavier than the 12 bolt, probably somewhere in the 20 pound range. The added weight is not in that bad of a spot though... Bob
im kinda in the same boat so i just wanted to clarify.
if i have a stock driveshaft it can be used with either the moser 12bolt or 9", but it will require a conversion kit to match it up to the 1350 yoke...correct???
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure on my ujoint. its an acpt carbon driveshaft that bolted in to my stock rear. if memory serves me all for cups on the ujoint were the same size. so that tells me its a stock 1310. i do want my abs. and i do want to be as quiet as possible turning. its not a track car but will see some street abuse with a drag radial.

will i have problems with a swaybar?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

It's not really a kit. It's just a u-joint like the one in the D/S now except on 2 of the 4 sides the caps are a little bigger.

You shouldn't have any problems with the sway bar. You just need to get a pair of 3" muffler clamps and ream them out so the factory set up will work with it. That's on a 9". I don't know if you have to do the same to a 12 bolt or not.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by 2002SilverZ28
im kinda in the same boat so i just wanted to clarify.
if i have a stock driveshaft it can be used with either the moser 12bolt or 9", but it will require a conversion kit to match it up to the 1350 yoke...correct???
It just needs a 1310/1350 U Joint to go from the stock driveshaft to the Moser rear with the 1350 yoke, Napa #447. Bob
Old 03-25-2006, 04:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus

So could you use a moser 9 inch with out ABS or TCS?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Miguel_in_Denver
So could you use a moser 9 inch with out ABS or TCS?
Yes indeed. You can purchase a Moser 9 inch without ABS/TCS. Most people who have ABS order it this way, and just do without ABS. Bob