Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Does having a 9 inch cause any problems on 3 channel ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does having a 9 inch cause any problems on 3 channel ABS?

I would like to know for the guys that have a 9 inch on a 3 channel car what happens to the ABS. Do you have to change something? Do you get a constant ABS light on the dash? I just want to know what happens when you don't have rear ABS. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Ya you will get a constant ABS inop light on the dash because you will have to leave it unplugged. I am in the same boat right now. About to put in my 9" and will just have to leave it unplugged. I am thinking about just doing ABS delete. Scott at driveline solutions is trying to work something up so it will still work by maybe running of ring istalled on the driveshaft, but nothing as of now.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I assume that your front wheel ABS still works, just the rear is disabled. Does anyone know is this is correct?

Also, does anyone know if you could mount the ABS sensor in the rear so that it points at the ring gear itself? If memory serves me the sensor is just a magnetic similar to a crank sensor.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

ABS wont work at all, disables the whole system I do believe......
Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 AM
12 Second Club

Meatman is correct, you lose the entire ABS system. After I installed my 9" I put my shitty 16" wheels/tires back on the car and went to some back roads to get a feel for the braking system as well as to get a good handle on threshold braking with the car. IMO if I were to just add an adjustable proportioning valve the car would stop better without ABS.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can build your own ABS reluctor ring to go on the driveshaft and allow you to keep your 3 channel ABS functioning. If you want to know more please search under my name in this forum before you post asking questions i've answered before.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z95m6
you can build your own ABS reluctor ring to go on the driveshaft and allow you to keep your 3 channel ABS functioning. If you want to know more please search under my name in this forum before you post asking questions i've answered before.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/292056-9in-3-channel-abs-pics.html

I assume you mean the above post? (I did see that post, but there really is not that much info in it on your setup; no need to explain the search to me seeing as how I have been around longer than you )

Well how about some more info? You post has one working picture, and you don't list the materials or where you go them. What reluctor gear did you use? How do you know what number of teeth the reluctor gear needs?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh i didn't realize the extreme chassis sticky in this section had been removed. Thats where most of my info was posted on this site. The gear i had made was a Martin brand sprocket. I was running 3.90 gears in my rear so i took the 110 tooth stock reluctor ring and divided that by 3.9. I believe i came up with about 28 teeth. I then decided i didn't want the new gear to be any bigger than 3 inch diameter and i figured it needed to be about .75" wide. I then talked to a friend at a machine shop and he told me if i wanted a 3" diameter gear that i needed to go order a sprocket that had 28 teeth and a #10 pitch and that would be a 3" diameter. Don't ask me how he figured that out, i believe its an engineer thing. I then went down to a local shop and told them i needed a 28 tooth gear with a #10 pitch and they had one but it had a .5" Bore and was about 1.5" wide so i took it to my friend and had it machined down so it was .75" wide and bored to 1.5" so it would fit on my driveshaft. I then heated it up and installed it on my driveshaft after that i just extended the sensor wires and made a bracket to mount on the tailshaft of my tranny. Someone told me the sensor needed to be about .024" away from the gear. I tried that and the first time i got on it the gear hit the sensor and caused the ABS to go off. I then just reached under the car and bent the bracket away until the sensor really cleared the gear and then i never had another problem. I only have 2 pics of the setup as i sold it when i sold my junky *** extreme chassis 8.8 rear. I do plan to build another 9inch some day and i plan to do the same thing. My friend is retiring in the next year so i may have to build a few gears before he quits. Here are the 2 pics i have.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1787...m_the_rear.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1787/abs_setup.jpg
Old 03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you Z95! Thats what I was looking for. I had though about doing something similar, but I was worried that using a small gear like that would throw the ABS off because the small gear was rotating much faster than the normal size reluctor.

But, looks like that migh work. I also did not realize you put the reluctor gear on the front of the driveshaft. Good idea.