Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

zexel torsen life expectation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zexel torsen life expectation

let start with sorry for the long post
from my understanding the zexel torsen diff should not ever wear out. In my 99 T/A I recently got I decided to do a burnout to check. it spun both at first then I let it roll forward a little and the left tire stopped I let off the breaks and it spun the right tire the rest of the way thru first and into second the left tire never left another mark not even on the 1-2 shift(like my worn auburn in my old 97 would do). is this a common characteristic with the torsen I heard some people say the do one wheel burnouts. I'm just trying to figure if I have a torsen or a nonposi out of a V6(I can tell the axle has atleast been outof the car). ? for you guys with a torsen does your car usually spin both around a corner, what about a burnout/straight line

Last edited by lt1formula2000; 03-30-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did the same thing when the gears in the torsen broke.car still drove ok but it one wheeled in the rain.it really sucked.i replaced it with a auburn unit.i wasn't very happy with the auburn either.it didn't one wheel but the auburn creaked and cracked.i replaced it with a torsen.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your diff fluid level, might be a little low.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torsens go bad left and right. They might not be bad enough to keep you from driving, but is very common to see folks doing 'one wheel peels' with them. There are no clutches inside of it to wear out like the auburn LSDs, but for some reason the internal gears just get play in them...a lot of times when it's on its way out you'll hear some ratcheting/grinding. My torsen carrier just stripped its gears out at the track, it had been going downhill for the past 2 months or so, but the new drag radials did it in. I am planning to take apart the carrier to learn more about how it goes together and what exactly goes wrong.

Quick Reply: zexel torsen life expectation