Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Series2 carrier question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series2 carrier question

This is my first post! yay. well my question is: i have a stock 2.73 geared rear end and i have been planning on putting the 3.42 gears from a m6 car in my car. This whole thought process started when i saw a set of 3.42's for sale for about 40 bucks. what a steal compared to 180-220 for a new set of gears. I found out today that i cant do that because of the different carriers, so if i'm going to do a gearswap i may as well go ahead and get the 3.73's. however, i was discussing with my friend about richmond gears being thicker, and while he said they would whine, i was thinking that since they are thicker than GM gears, they would fit better in a series 2 carrier rather than a series 3 carrier. I'm just trying to save a few bucks by purchasing used gearset rather than a new set, and i have yet to see anyone sell 3.73 gears for a series 2 carrier used for around 50 bucks. Am i on the right track thinking this or am i just wishing on a star..
Old 04-03-2006, 06:30 AM
Banned

You need to find aftermarket gears that are thick for use with a different series carrier, this is the only reason they are thicker. GM never made them like this, they just used different carriers.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
I found out today that i cant do that because of the different carriers, so if i'm going to do a gearswap i may as well go ahead and get the 3.73's. however, i was discussing with my friend about richmond gears being thicker, and while he said they would whine, i was thinking that since they are thicker than GM gears, they would fit better in a series 2 carrier rather than a series 3 carrier.
In my opinion a rear end is not something you should skimp out on, a lot is riding on it, literally. With a 2 series carrier you need 2 series gears. Richmond gears are 'thicker' as in stronger, but they are not going to fit correctly in a 2 series if they weren't made for it.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i guess there's no real "quick" fix then. i've heard there's a spacer u can put in series 2 rear ends to make them compatible with series 3 gearsets from 2 people. one said NO NO NO and the other guy said "its ok with an auto as long as you arent pushing too many ponies under the hood. any more thoughts?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Don't run a spacer.

Get a "thick" gear... which is a 3-series gear made to fit a 2-series carrier.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Don't run a spacer.

Get a "thick" gear... which is a 3-series gear made to fit a 2-series carrier.

I'm with him ^^^

Don't cheap out on your car. If you can't afford the gears now, then save up some money for another month or so and get the correct ones. Trying to make something else work just won't be worth the frustration.

If you want 3.42's you might think about buying a whole rear end assembly from someone. People sell them all the time for $250-$300 because they upgrade to 12 bolts & 9 inches. While gears may not be something you can do yourself because it takes experience, a rear end can be swapped in a matter of hours and there are no tricks to it.