Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

7.5'' 10 bolt... bent axle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.5'' 10 bolt... bent axle?

I'm brand new to this board, a friend of mine said there are some knowledgable people floating around here.

I recently installed an 01 rear endThe only history I have on the rear is that it came out of a salvaged SS. from the moment I put my car on the ground, the pass. side wheel wobbles about an inch and there is a very loud constant scraping noise which gets louder with speed. the rotor looks just fine, the housing looks fine to the naked eye. What else could it be? This is my only car, I just want some input before I start in with a wrench. Thanks.

-Dave
Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you've already answered your own question...........
Old 04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bent axles on these flimsy rear ends are not uncommon. I'd say that is a pretty good bet.

Axles aren't too difficult to get to...you'll have to remove the rear cover, remove the C-clips, etc...I think you have to drop the ABS sensor too, or the axle won't come out. Not bad though.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I replaced the axle and bearing on the side in question, corrected the wheel wobble. The awful noise remains though. It's a very loud howling/scraping noise. Could it be the posi unit itself? It doesnt sound to me like gears, but i'm no mechanic. I bought replacement carrier bearings and hope I can get em in with tools on hand. What else could it be? Anybody know what's involved in removing them?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

could have messed up the carrier bearing on that same side. I have the same problem right now.....lookin for an axle.....
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did ya replace the axleshaft bearing when you replaced the axle?One other thing to look at would be your backing plate on that side.Make sure its not bent...whoever you got that rearend from may have slid the car into a curb.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
could have messed up the carrier bearing on that same side. I have the same problem right now.....lookin for an axle.....
I've got some spare axles available bud, does your car have TCS ?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRex
I've got some spare axles available bud, does your car have TCS ?
thanks....no it doesn't have TCS
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

what does are cars have besides a v8?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PM or email me if you want me to check my axle supply, I'm out of town this week but will be back at home on Sun.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Teching In

carrier bearings replaced. The pass. side bearing was damaged, but it's still making that same awful noise. I noticed when I had the diff cover off that the gears are real noisy when I spin an axle. I originaly thought it was just because they arent in oil but i'm out of **** to replace so...
Could a hard impact mess up the posi unit itself? I hope not, i'm not made of money?
Also I never pulled the pinion gear, Is that worth a look?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

At this point it is time to pull the axles and the carrier, pinion and look at it all.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

definately check the pinion bearing. I doubt your posi is messed up but a pinion bearing is very likely! I just got done helping a buddy of mine replace his pinion bearing. His was so bad that when we tried to spin his axles it took a lot of force and then it would "break lose" and then stop again. When he drove it down the road it sounded like he was riding on some 45" super swampers! So try that....its the next cheapest thing you could do. Keep us updated!

Brent
Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I ran into that this last summer. I bought an axle out of a car to get mine finished and it looke like th housing had a bow in one of the tubes but is was dark and I was not sure and glasses do not help. The net day I checked and measured and marked it off on a concrete floor and sure enough the housing and the axle were bent. They guy knock off some cash and gave me another housing and axle shaft. So yes it is definitely bent and plan on replacing the bearings but do not discount the housing being tweaked also. The carrier bearings will be ok as long as you do not drive it long enough to knock them out.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Teching In

definately check the pinion bearing. I doubt your posi is messed up but a pinion bearing is very likely! I just got done helping a buddy of mine replace his pinion bearing. His was so bad that when we tried to spin his axles it took a lot of force and then it would "break lose" and then stop again. When he drove it down the road it sounded like he was riding on some 45" super swampers! So try that....its the next cheapest thing you could do. Keep us updated!

Brent
45'' SUPER SWAMPERS, that's the sound!!! I do recall there being some resistance when turning the pinion. I went ahead and replaced the carrier bearings. One had some pretty bad pitting on the inner race but that wasnt where the noise is coming from. why didnt I check the pinion bearing when I had it all tore down!! So pinion bearings next week! I hope they're not as hard as the carrier bearings. My bearing puller wouldnt clear the diff housing, those things took me over an hour to get off with a hammer and chizel. I'm thinking a bearing puller will do the trick on the pinion gear.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

good luck and i'm glad i could help! Any more questions just let me know!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Teching In

It was the pinion bearing on the tail side. Thing looked like a chew toy. On the bright side I learned quite a bit throughout the mess! Now if I could only locate the jerk who sold it to me... Ebay seller ''rods_n_rides_performance'' Some of you guys have probobally done business with him, he sells alot of f-body parts. My guess is he went under and he's scamming whoever he can before Ebay shuts him down.

Anyway, case closed, and thanks alot for all the help folks!

Quick Reply: 7.5'' 10 bolt... bent axle?