Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" Bearing Question

does anyone know the correct way to put on the bearings???.
i am just wondering because i know that there is a correct and incorrect way that they should be facing
also how do the axel seals go on.....is there a certain way to do it???

thanks guys
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

reluctor ring, backing plates, wheel bearing (oring faces wheel) press ring.

i lightly lubed the seal with gear oil and then lightly tapped it with a rubber mallet till it was in all the way.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Which axle for which side?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Restricted User

Damn it...IIRC the short axle is the drivers side. If you slide them into the center section, one way it will slide both sides evenly, the wrong way, the long axle will keep the short one from seating fully.

I used a cut piece of pipe, same diameter as the seal to tap it in, then put some gear lube on the seal itself, the flange faces inside...so the outer seal has the flat metal ring and the flat seal facing.

Put the ABS Rings on, press into fully seated position, backing plates over the axle, resting loosely on the relcutor wheels, slide the bearing with the o-ring facing the wheels, press to a fully seated position, then slide the press ring on and press it till it bottoms out on the bearing housing. Carefully slide past the axle seals and into the center section, bolt the backing plate into position. I found it helpful to rubber mallet the axles to fully seat them and then remove the parking brake shoe, for access to the backing plate bolts. Use locktite on the t-bolts and nuts for the backing plates. GL

Charlie
Old 04-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAT3
Damn it...IIRC the short axle is the drivers side. If you slide them into the center section, one way it will slide both sides evenly, the wrong way, the long axle will keep the short one from seating fully.

I used a cut piece of pipe, same diameter as the seal to tap it in, then put some gear lube on the seal itself, the flange faces inside...so the outer seal has the flat metal ring and the flat seal facing.

Put the ABS Rings on, press into fully seated position, backing plates over the axle, resting loosely on the relcutor wheels, slide the bearing with the o-ring facing the wheels, press to a fully seated position, then slide the press ring on and press it till it bottoms out on the bearing housing. Carefully slide past the axle seals and into the center section, bolt the backing plate into position. I found it helpful to rubber mallet the axles to fully seat them and then remove the parking brake shoe, for access to the backing plate bolts. Use locktite on the t-bolts and nuts for the backing plates. GL

Charlie
with the 9" i am not retaining the ABS, that means that the ABS ring doesnt need to get put on correct? i would just slide the backing plate on the axle have the bearings pressed on at a local shop and i am good to go?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have my housing yet.