Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Any good sites that run through 9" disassembly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good sites that run through 9" disassembly?

Before I install the new (well new to me) Moser 9" I want to re-paint the housing and I'm thinking while I'm at it I'll get the drain bung welded on as well and possibly a fill plug too. In my head I believe it's removing the 4 bolts on each caliper braket/retainer plate, pulling the axles out, then removing the 10-12 bolts for the 3rd member and pulling that off the housing. I'm sure I'm missing something so I wouldn't mind reading over some instructions. Also since the center section is setup as one, would I have to have it re-setup again before installing it back in the housing?...or can I just reinstall everything and just torque the bolts down? I'm not a rear end afficionato (sp?).

Thanks!
- Joel
Old 04-07-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from brake and torque arm removal there will be no set up of differental needed if it is propper working order right now...If you have a drain and fill plug installed I think its best to use a 1/2 or 3/8 pipe plug this will reduce the chance of leaks ..When re installing the 3rd member I like to use a Fel Pro 2302 gasket clean all surfaces with brake clean and make sure theres no crap in the housing and use 3/8 ny lock nuts with AN washers on all 10 studs.. and a bead of RTV around the bottom of the gear never hurt anything..
Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
In terms of a drain plug....I should pickup a bung to weld to the rear of the housing that would fit the 1/2" plug here: http://www.magneticdrainplugs.com/pipe_plugs.htm

Also just to clarify...you mean Nylon insert lock nuts?

Thanks,
- Joel
Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Nylon insert I would use the external square plugs that way you can remove them with a box end of cresent if ya had to...