Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End Maintenance

I have 37,000 miles on my car and thought it was time to service the differential since it is a 10 bolt and I've been racing wayyy to much. I like doing things right even if it takes some extra time and patience.

What I had planned is draining the fluid, taking off the cover, cleaning out the inside with wd-40, wiping it clean, putting the cover back on, and then putting Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil in it. Is there any other steps I missed? New seal? Torque specs on the bolts? Anti-seize?
Old 04-10-2006, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

TTT for ya man. I'm picking up the AAM Cast Aluminum diff cover and I'd like to know as well. Also does anyone know if the Royal Purple 75w90 comes with the additive in it and where I can get it?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use brake cleaner to clean out the inside of the diff as it evaporates very quickly. Make sure to use a lint free Scott towel and wipe out the excess inside the diff. There are places it can puddle up with the remaining gear oil. You don't want brake cleaner diluting your new gear oil. Clean the mating surfaces and apply RTV or a new gasket. I'm not sure of the torque offhand but normally tighten with till snug and then another 1/4 turn. I've not had a diff leak in 5 years doing it this way.

RP gear oils allready contain the FM additive says their literature.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

From what I've read you don't need additive with the synthetic gear oil but you are oly supposed to put synthetic in the Torsen rear ends. If your rear-end has the Auburn carrier you are supposed to put dino oil with additive.

It is not really difficult to change the oil but after you do it you will probably wish you installed the performance cover with a drain so you can avoid the hassle of removing the cover (and rear sway bar) next time.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^^ Even if you do put synthetic in (in a Torsen), it is NOT a lifetime fill!! The temp/shear/stress, especially on a 10 bolt, is soooo high, I would change out the gear oil every other year, at least (I change mine every year). This is when you really appreciate the aftermarket covers (besides the minute strength gains they instill on a 10 bolt).