Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how to check for u-joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to check for u-joint replacement

hi,
my car has 73k on it and I'm trying to chase down some vibration problems. I had the eibach pro-kit on it and recently went to the SLP eibach kit. Since then I've had some funny vibration problems (feels like rear end is dancing just a little bit through my seat). Anyways, I have a new TA to install and was thinking about doing tranny mount and u-joints as well. I put the car in neutral and crawled under it. In neutral, I can rotate the DS about a tenth of a turn. Is this too much slop? Also, it makes a clunk noise if i cruise, take my foot off the gas and then gun it again quickly. Is there way to check it by hand rotating it? I thought I remembered something like from auto shop but wasn't sure. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The play in the shaft is normal, it is most likely the backlash in your rear-end gears if you had the rear off the ground, or backlash in the tranny. If the rear is on the ground and the tranny is in gear, you shouldn't get much play in just the driveshaft.
Take a look at your tranny mount. It is common for the tranny mount to break, as the factory torque arm is mounted to the transmission, which causes the mount to break. A broken transmission mount will give you a clunking sound. Bob

Quick Reply: how to check for u-joint replacement