Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My Wheel is LOOSE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Wheel is LOOSE!

I just recently replaced my rear outer axle bearings which solved an annoying sound. But now if I grab my rear drivers side rim and pull back and forth, It feels as if the lugs are not on tight. The whole tire has a slight play in it. What causes this? Please help!!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FearLS1
I just recently replaced my rear outer axle bearings which solved an annoying sound. But now if I grab my rear drivers side rim and pull back and forth, It feels as if the lugs are not on tight. The whole tire has a slight play in it. What causes this? Please help!!
I have the same problem! very slight play in the rear passenger side wheel. Also what sound were your bearings making?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Like a inconsistant metalic rattling noise. And I had to be driving next to a road barrier or concrete wall on the drivers side. I am still getting a rattling noise. Slightly different than before the bearing change. Almost if its off balance hints the play in the rim.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The axles in my '98Z & my '99 SS seem to slide in & out quite abit, if you pull them with it off the ground, like a loose wheel. Normal??? I really noticed it last night when I was changing my diff fluid...
Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Does anybody know why? My passenger rear side is very solid. So something has to be wrong.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

Are you sure the axel c-clip is installed correctly in the posi ?

If not, it may be causing excessive play and possibly noise.

It's somthing you should check if your in doubt.
If it is not installed correctly it could be dangerous.

Ryan
Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

i agree, if the c-clip is not installed properley, or not at all, the only thing holding your axle in the housing is the brake caliper bracket sitting over the rotor....very dangerous check it out!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am clueless on this topic...Could the C clip just fall out some how? My rear end just became quite noisy recently...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

For starters remove the wheel and then the caliper ---- try to pull the axel . If it comes out ther is a problem inside with the c-clip.
They don't usally fall out by themselves because there is a small shaft or pin that holds it in place.
However anything is possible. If someone has done work inside the rear I would be even more suspect.

Ryan
Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I have tried to pull the axle out. Hoping that would be the problem. That would be an easy solution. Its has a slight play in and outward, but it wont come out? I'm gonna investigate under the pumpkin cover tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

There is one that happened during the install of the bearings. While I was pounding away with the slide hammer a large washer-like spacer fell out of the diff. This was a first time install on having the rear apart. In side the diff I had removed the left side piece with two bolts, which look like when you take both side off the inside large gear will come out. Anyways, that is where the spacer seemed to have come from. I couldn't compare left to the right because its different. What is this spacer and did I put it back in the proper place?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

That spacer is just that, a shim to set the proper backlash on your gears. As long as you put it back on the same side between the housing and the carrier you should be ok. It came off the area where you took off the main bearing caps, right?

About the play in the wheel, my car has the same thing. I'm thinking it's normal.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm,
I had a slight "womb womb womb" (like rotating noise) come up a few weeks ago, very slight and only happened with slight throttle in slow turns... Thursday the noise got really worse, now is pretty loud and comes on even in straights as long as throttle (or pressure in the drivetrain) is being applied... Does not do it when rolling however, at first I thought it was a axle bearing but with the pressure issue I am believing it is in the Posi unit and will goto a friend's and pull the cover off Tuesday. I also have noticed play in the wheels even when the car is on the ground. :/
Old 04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Yes it came out from under the left bearing cap. Everything so far sounds normal. And I have exceded 100mph.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your wheels will seem "loose", it is normal for rearends that have C clips holding the axles in. I did notice it on my stock rear end '98 & it never had a problem. The 8.8 in my Mustang does it too.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unstang
Your wheels will seem "loose", it is normal for rearends that have C clips holding the axles in.
It's just the nature of the beast. C clips will have some play in them. There is no way a C clip can fall out unless something broke or was installed incorrectly.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

FearLS1, did your noise sound anything like the "womb womb womb" rotating noise I described?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Teching In

when you where working on the bearings ,it may have been a little smaller and you may have to reshim it .or see if you can find a better bearing or the right one .if you aren't careful taking it apart or have help it can be a pain in the azz.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

I get gagged at tech inspection everytime I go to the track (road racing) with a group that is not familiar with the GM (or other) c-clip rear ends. The grab the rear tires and yank back and forth .... and say I have bad wheel bearings......

Sheesh ..... I have to educate them.

As noted above .... this is normal.