Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I can't get these U-joints out..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't get these U-joints out..

Stock aluminum driveshaft. rear U-joint defo needs replacing as it is kind of stiff, but I can't get it out. I have drilled out the nylon injected "pins", tried heating the ears with a propane torch, but the aluminum dissapates the heat faster than the steel u-joint can. I am using a large 8" C-clamp to try to force the U-joint in any direction.

It is simply not budging. Afraid of damaging shaft ears.
Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

you need a hotter torch then the little handheld propane bottle ones.

the nylon in there isnt just a "pin". the cap has a groove and when they inject the plastic, it goes all the way around the cap.
this is why you cant press it out.. that stuff has to ooze out from heating it before you can press it out... it takes time and alot of heat. if you try it with a small torch at home, you'll almost wish you just bought another driveshaft.. lol
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm. I see. Do you think MAPP gas would be hot enough? So I am actually heating the ujoint itself and not the DS ears then? GM really bit the turd with this money saving idea. Kudos to their number crunchers.