Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Woes Revisted

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Woes Revisted

ARGH! OK... Going to list off my suspension mods to hopefully figure this out...

Moser 12 Bolt (1350 yoke)
BMR LCAs
Spohn Torque Arm (floorpan mount) adjustable
Stock Aluminum driveshaft....
Poly trans mount

Set it all up last night and took her for a spin at what I "thought" was -1*. However, on deceleration, it sounded like the devil himself was trying to come through my floorpan in the back. Also, had ALOT of vibration on the hwy.

Took her home and looked at it just now. If I measure the driveshaft..I come up with 0* and -1* at the diff. Measured on where the torque arm meets the diff. After looking at http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/ I noticed they measure off the ear on the universal. Is this where I'm supposed to measure off of? If so, I'm at +10*!

I don't have a roll on lift...so I am squeezing my skinny *** under the car to do these adjustments. So would like to get this right the next time around so I am not killing myself over and over. Anyone help????

Would also like to mention, I did not TOUCH the top adjuster...could this be where I am at fault???

Last edited by ChicagoTransAm; 05-16-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Rob,
TA mount at the rear and pinion surface can both be used for the angle of the pinion.
In the carcraft pics they are measuring the driveshaft in the top two, then the pic on the cap they are measuring pinion but they are actually 90* plus pinion (vertical surface).
Not sure where you're getting 10*.
Are you loading the rear on ramps or such to set the angle at ride height?
You can call me if you want.
I'm in the phone book.
Michael Gronberg
Old 05-16-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PediDr2
Hey Rob,
TA mount at the rear and pinion surface can both be used for the angle of the pinion.
In the carcraft pics they are measuring the driveshaft in the top two, then the pic on the cap they are measuring pinion but they are actually 90* plus pinion (vertical surface).
Not sure where you're getting 10*.
Are you loading the rear on ramps or such to set the angle at ride height?
You can call me if you want.
I'm in the phone book.
Michael Gronberg
Not loading em on ramps... Car is litterly on the ground! Talk about a tight squeeze I do have ramps, but had troubles with setting the front on em and jacking up the axle (per Spohns instructions) My jack won't get underneath there.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Not loading em on ramps... Car is litterly on the ground! Talk about a tight squeeze I do have ramps, but had troubles with setting the front on em and jacking up the axle (per Spohns instructions) My jack won't get underneath there.
Do you have 4 ramps? Point them all towards the center of the car (of course parallel)
Where did you get the 10* measurement? Was it the flat upright surface of the yolk (yoke joke) or the TA mount surface?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/ I noticed they measure off the ear on the universal. Is this where I'm supposed to measure off of? If so, I'm at +10*!
They are trying to measure the bering cup/flat area to use as the DS angle. The 'ears' are typically not flat.
FWIW my Spohn TA is a little noisey or more to the point has some vibration to it. Some it to be expected.
Did you trash your tranny mount?
Rechecked all your nuts and bolts?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PediDr2
They are trying to measure the bering cup/flat area to use as the DS angle. The 'ears' are typically not flat.
FWIW my Spohn TA is a little noisey or more to the point has some vibration to it. Some it to be expected.
Did you trash your tranny mount?
Rechecked all your nuts and bolts?
Checked my nuts and bolts Trans mount has ehrrr...15 miles on it. I used the cups to get that 10*. (typo) ... The strange thing is...the cups read 10* ...the driveshaft itself 0*. Odd huh?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont think the -1* is quite right. But -4* is in the park if you havent lowered the chassis to much.

But......... it really comes down to what the tailshaft housing reads with the suspension under static chassis load. Equal and opposite is the key.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chicane
Dont think the -1* is quite right. But -4* is in the park if you havent lowered the chassis to much.

But......... it really comes down to what the tailshaft housing reads with the suspension under static chassis load. Equal and opposite is the key.
Hmm...everything I've ever read said -1* street -2* strip. The car sits at stock height, it's a straight line car. Also, have stock shocks...so they're not soft enough to be twisting 4* (or so I would imagine)
Old 05-17-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Been there and done that devil thing.

Measure the angle on the face of the crank pulley. Pull the drive shaft and measure your angle on the pinion yoke. Set between 0 and -1 degree for highway use (the pinion yoke should be less than the crank pulley). UMI also recommended this setting for the type of TA. I've found this gives the smoothest, quietest ride on my car. Make sure you measure the angles from the same side at both ends. When you adjust the TA, loosen the nuts on the side (both) so the joints move freely. No reason to touch the top adjuster.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well yeah. The housing is set to 4* from the factory.... and with your adjustment in the tq/arm it will make it -3* for street or -2* for the strip.

You can get away with less in a manual transmission application.