Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help needed ASAP on rear end swap...RE: Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help needed ASAP on rear end swap...RE: Sensors?

I am swapping rear ends as I blew my posi. The old rear is out and sitting on the garage floor. My car came with traction control, the car that I got the rear end from did not. It appears my old rear has one sensor (speed sensors, I assume) at each wheel, the new rear has one on top of the differential housing.

I do not care if my rear ABS and/or traction control do not work at this point in time. My only concern is the speedometer/odometer.

What would I have to do to make everything work?

Just the speedometer/odometer?

What happens if I plug one of the sensors that used to go to my wheels into the diff housing? Anything? Bad things?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Speedo is on the trans. You got a 3 channel rear end (No TCS), your original was a 4 channel. I don't think you're going to be able to get ABS to work, and no way on the TCS, as the sensors are not in the new rear.
The plug on the pumpkin is for ABS only, I wouldn't plug anything in. You'll have a ABS light on, and maybe (if it exists) a TCS light as well.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Okay, thanks. I was nearly positive the speedo wouldn't be an issue but then again, what do I know about what goes on back there?

I know there is something I could do to make ABS work by swapping some parts from the old rear to the new one, but I don't remember for sure and what I think it is happens to be more work than I am willing to do at this point in time.

One last question: Will I have no ABS at all, or no abs on the rear wheels? I'm thinking none at all....

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

I recently put a 12 bolt w/ no ABS in my car, and I now have no ABS at all. I think the ABS control module turns the everything off when it detects a fault.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I recently put a 12 bolt w/ no ABS in my car, and I now have no ABS at all. I think the ABS control module turns the everything off when it detects a fault.
Okay, thanks, that is what I figured. Oh well, I got a used working rear for $200 with the same gear ratios so I can't complain about the electronics not mathing up (knew that before I bought it) so long as the mechanics work.