Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke a true trac on an 11sec car???

Old 05-24-2006, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broke a true trac on an 11sec car???

Well....what a crappy night last night...my friend was lined up to run at atco last night and when he left the tree, picked up his slip and started to make a turn....kaboom The rear acts like a damn spool turning corners. The ring and pinion sound fine....no grinding, chunking, or poping...except when ya turn. He has a 12bolt from moser, 4.10s, and a true trac. Since he bought the rear the driver tire would spin and the pass. tire would stay stationary in the water box the very first run of the night. After that one run...both spin and all is well. So we didn't really think of it....until last night Is there a rebuild kit or should we just pick up a new one??? Anyone else with this problem?? Oh yeah...he's an M6 with and ATI at 8#'s....but still not enough power to really grenade that rear. He always preloads the trans and rear so not the shock it. Dud maybe? Won't really know until tonight when we pull the cover. Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Confirmed.....ring and pinion are fine The true trac definately took a crap....metal in the bottom and teeth are chipped on the worm gears . Thought for $500+ that it would hold up. Anyone else destroy one of these??? Should he just go with a spool???
Old 05-24-2006, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rabidbandit
Confirmed.....ring and pinion are fine The true trac definately took a crap....metal in the bottom and teeth are chipped on the worm gears . Thought for $500+ that it would hold up. Anyone else destroy one of these??? Should he just go with a spool???

What axle spline and what ratio are you running?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

If he still drives it on the street at all, I'd go with a locker before a spool.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
If he still drives it on the street at all, I'd go with a locker before a spool.
x2
Old 05-25-2006, 05:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Rabidbandit
Well....what a crappy night last night...my friend was lined up to run at atco last night and when he left the tree, picked up his slip and started to make a turn....kaboom The rear acts like a damn spool turning corners. The ring and pinion sound fine....no grinding, chunking, or poping...except when ya turn. He has a 12bolt from moser, 4.10s, and a true trac. Since he bought the rear the driver tire would spin and the pass. tire would stay stationary in the water box the very first run of the night. After that one run...both spin and all is well. So we didn't really think of it....until last night Is there a rebuild kit or should we just pick up a new one??? Anyone else with this problem?? Oh yeah...he's an M6 with and ATI at 8#'s....but still not enough power to really grenade that rear. He always preloads the trans and rear so not the shock it. Dud maybe? Won't really know until tonight when we pull the cover. Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris, if this is Billy Hill's car, Moser is taking care of it. It is the first Truetrac that I have heard of anyone having a problem with. Bob
Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by dailydriver
It's a 12 bolt, not a nine inch. Bob
Old 05-25-2006, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Yeah Bill's car and it's a 33 spline w/4.10's.....definately one in a million fluke. I was as shocked as ya'll were No one has really heard of these coming apart. Anyway upon closer inspection...the bigger chips stayed in the carrier and some little stuff settled down to the bottom and then some on the pickup for the ABS. Ring and Pinion shows no sign of nicks or chips....that's good But I'm still removing the pinion to make damn sure that no debris ended up behind there. Like I said...we had that one wheel wonder the first trip to the water box and then the rest of the day it was fine. These things are built up like crazy after lookin inside! We'll have a new one in probably by Friday. Don't worry....my faith in these units don't sway easily. If out of thousands of units sold around the country we happen to find the one bad one....We can live with that Thank you guys, and thanks Bob for the concern and info.
Chris
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't feel bad... I shattered the Eaton Pos unit in my moser 12 bolt. But when i called Moser (not trying to get them to take care of anything, I just wanted to buy more parts) they acted like they didn't want to sell me ANYTHING. I went ahead and went with a spool and bought it from summit. But now I'm getting ready to put a Tru-Trac in it so hopefully yours was the only bad one.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

youll break a tru-trac with the beast of a car you own.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope not, but hopefully I'll have the rearend in within the next week or 2, so we'll see.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

One question....are diffs in moser 12's supposed to be so hard to remove that it takes an act of god to do it??? This thing was packed....I mean packed so tight that a 3ft crowbar had trouble getting the carrier out. I've never worked with shims that were wedged in there that tight Anyone else have a problem removing one. Oh...we decided to buy inner and outer pinion bearings, carriers bearings and seals.....don't want to take any chances. We've got it soaking to remove all debris from the housing. Should be put back together by tomorrow and at the track next week...if we get the proper break-in miles and cycles done
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine wasn't that tight... I'm having a hard time fiding axle bearings for mine. There are no numbers on the bearings for me to go off of to match them up...
Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was real tight. Just switched to a spool before I break the eaton
Old 05-25-2006, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BDWS6
I hope not, but hopefully I'll have the rearend in within the next week or 2, so we'll see.

Cant wait to see some numbers out of your car. Let us all know how it goes.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Bearings were not to hard to find.....I found BCA's from advance auto...they just had to order them in. Look for 68-72 Camaro/Nova rear. 8.875 ring and there ya have it
Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
It's a 12 bolt, not a nine inch. Bob
Detroit/Eaton don't make lockers for 12 bolts? I'm shocked!! I guess they feel that if you need that strength, you'll just go spool??
Old 05-26-2006, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Sorry....for the people that I told go to Advance Auto....don't do it! The bearings I ordered weren't the right ones....their database sucks ***....nothing matches. It would help if they had competent people working there. The manager running the 5 stores in our area is an idiot. I asked for parts for a 1970 camaro Z28 for the bearings reference and he said "Is that a Ford" WTF ....this is no joke, it's hard to find good help these days. Anyway sorry for the rant. Autozone carries Timkin bearings for those that didn't know and Napa has the same part#'s but are made in Germany and cost more. So take your pick These part#'s are from Moser tech support and work.
Here is some part numbers for you guys runnin' a moser 12-bolt:
603012 Carrier Race
603049 Carrier Bearing
88048 Outer Pinion Race
88010 Outer Pinion Bearing
802048 Inner Pinion Race
802011 Inner Pinion Bearing
Hope this helps
Later,
Chris
Old 05-26-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wouldn't happen to have the axle bearing part numbers would ya??

And to the guy that made the comment "Detroit/Eaton don't make lockers for 12 bolts? I'm shocked!! I guess they feel that if you need that strength, you'll just go spool??"

That's exactly what the tech at Moser told me when I called to get something to replace the Eaton Pos unit. He said that he didn't show a locker for my 12 bolt, and that they didn't make a true trac for a 4 series carrier. Which I did find out later from Detroit locker that they didn't make a true trac AT THAT TIME, but that moser has been putting lockers in for years. So the tech I talked to just basically didn't want to sell me anything. When I asked him about a spool, his exact comment was "Our gears are cut on a Strange pattern, you'll have to call them to get a spool"
Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

That's the problem....they had tons of axle bearings on hand....basically everything we didn't need Should be up and running Tuesday at this rate...sheesh And sorry no...didn't remember to ask about the axle bearings...I know that the 70 camaro Z28 12-bolt had 31 splines stock....but for the 33's or 35's...might be a moser purchase?

Also....for all you axle guru's...I've built a few GM 10-bolts, 14-bolts, and 9's, 8.8's from ford.
Aside from stealing my pops' tools...what do you guys recommend for bearing puller/installers, race installers, and dial indicators for working on these 12-bolts

I tired of taking them to people to set them up when I can be doing it....and what is the lash for a set of 4.10 US Gear .006 to .008?

I think Richmond was .006-.008 and Motive was .008-.0011, correct me if I'm wrong...It's been a while.

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 05-26-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Search this Thread