Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

U-joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U-joint replacement

Starting to get a nasty clunk from the rear, and I'm pretty sure it's the u-joint going out (least, not an expensive part to swap to see if it makes a difference). Summit only has 2, a Precision and a Lakewood. Are there any other specific ones to go with, instead of the Lakewood? Also, how hard would this be to do at home, as opposed to having a shop do it?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a clunking noise as your on a decel in nuteral, like when your coming to a full stop?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alamantia
Is it a clunking noise as your on a decel in nuteral, like when your coming to a full stop?
Normally it only happens when I'm rolling forward slowly in 1st gear with very slight throttle, and I push the clutch in quickly, and I get a clunk and a physical thunk from the rear of the car. Doesn't always happen. It also occasionally clunks in a situation like going slowly through a parking lot in 2nd gear - I'll get a series of clunks and jerks, like engine surge but without the jumping rpms, if I'm only lightly on the throttle to keep it moving forward, but they go away as soon as I give it gas...almost like there's slack in the drivetrain until it gets spinning faster. This was occuring before my 4.10s went in, but I think they only exacerbated the problem, as well as the new clutch - Id'd assume there's a hell of a lot more shock occuring at shifts with the 4.10s and a clutch that isn't slipping like a fat girl on ice.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

I get that noise too. I think its just the drivetrain taking up the slack. U-joints are probably fine unless you have some kind of bad vibration.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get it too.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
I get that noise too. I think its just the drivetrain taking up the slack. U-joints are probably fine unless you have some kind of bad vibration.
I'm getting a bit of that, although it might just be because it's been over a year since I had my tires balanced, and the Fuzions didn't keep a whole lot of tread on them. Got a whole list of little **** that needs done to the car to catch up on.

For $30, I wouldn't mind trying it to see what'd happen, if it's something I can do in the garage without needing a machine shop to do anything. Just from a quick peek under the rear, I'm not exactly sure how it comes out or goes in, but I couldn't really get up close without the car on ramps.

On a side note, I can't wait to get rid of this piece of **** 10 bolt and swap a 9" in under there.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty sure you need a press to do it. And a torch to heat up that plastic junk. The steel driveshafts you can beat them out but obviously aluminum you have to be careful with and use a press. I did truck (steel) driveshafts all the time at dodge but when it came time for my u-joints I just dropped it off and let someone else do it.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
I'm pretty sure you need a press to do it. And a torch to heat up that plastic junk. The steel driveshafts you can beat them out but obviously aluminum you have to be careful with and use a press. I did truck (steel) driveshafts all the time at dodge but when it came time for my u-joints I just dropped it off and let someone else do it.
Eh, I'll pass on it then.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said that clunk is pretty normal...and just becomes more obvious with a more grabby clutch like your tex or my spec 2.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

I have that clunk too........new ujoints, trans, rear and DS?????
Old 06-01-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its really not that tough, but like keliente says, youll need a torch. I used a pipe soldering torch and heated the yoke up on all sides till it started smoking a lot, then I punched them out with an old socket extention and a lump hammer.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Its really not that tough, but like keliente says, youll need a torch. I used a pipe soldering torch and heated the yoke up on all sides till it started smoking a lot, then I punched them out with an old socket extention and a lump hammer.
That's how it's done!

Quick Reply: U-joint replacement