Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3 channel in 4 channel car??

Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow 3 channel in 4 channel car??

Well I have searched and not found a concrete answer. I would love to see a sticky with all of the answers to 3 and 4 channel questions.

In any case, I have a 99 SS with traction control. I am assuming this is a four channel system. I found a decent deal on a 3 channel rear end.

Questions:

If I use my axles and backing plates can I use a three channel in my car and still maintain traction control and abs??

If I want to put new gears in can I skip the relucter ring on the case??

My understanding is that on a 3 channel uses a ring between the ring gear and case. Is the case different between a 3 and 4 channel or are the gears different??

Thanks!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

you are correct. 4 channel uses gears pressd onto the axles that speed sensors on th backing plates read off of. 3 channel uses a magnetetic sensor mounted thru the top of the housing that picks up a signal from the reluctor ring on the carrier. For you to uses a 3 channel rear in a four channel car, just reuse your backing plates & ABS sensors from the four channel and just let the pigtail from the magnetic sensor on the 3 channel hang.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 PM
wrencher

No the rear you found the deal on is it a 9" or a 12 bolt?
You will need to use those type axles in the rear. You can convert the axles over, install the tone rings onto them & your backing plates & wheel speed sensors then your set.
Call billingsley on here they can help you w/ the 4 channel tone rings.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies. The axle I am looking at is a stock 10 bolt.

So I can use this with what I have, but if I go with new gears is the case the same or the ring gear the same?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fasteddyss

My understanding is that on a 3 channel uses a ring between the ring gear and case. Is the case different between a 3 and 4 channel or are the gears different??
No the case is not different, it just has a reluctor ring that slips over it for a 3 channel system. The gears are the same.

3 channel - reluctor ring on carrier, ABS sensor on top of pumpkin

4 channel - reluctor rings on axles, speed sensors in backing plates.

An easy way to think of this is each wheel is a channel...i.e. on a three channel system, the ABS compares the speeds of the front wheels individually and the rear wheels as one (three inputs - left front, right front, and one sensor for rear wheels). On 4 channel each wheel is its own entity...this is how you can have traction control, the added sensor and reluctor rings on both sides allow it to see negative & positive wheel slip from side to side. Four sensors, LF, RF, LR, RR.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

OK, Thanks!

One more question though. Are the axles the same?? Could I use the axles from the 3 channel if I pressed on my sensor rings from my other axles??
Old 05-27-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

just use the axels from the 4 channel
Old 05-27-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alamantia
just use the axels from the 4 channel
Hey, Great idea, I did not think of that

I would like to know if they interchange if I swap that sensor gear. My axles have some wear on them where the bearings ride.

Anyone care to post who might actually have the answer??

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you say you had axle wear and had a reason to go through the painstaking proccedure of swaping gears press fit in a 3' long shaft, good luck finding a press for that at Autozone. No you didnt, if you have pulled or pressed gears or bearings before you would know it isnt easy. Had I known you had a reason to do so I would suggest investing in a set of axle saving bearings since its a good idea to install new bearings anyway when your doing work of this nature.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48518/

Although I have both sets of axles one set is on the car and Im not pulling off my wheel to look but I would imagine they are the same axles, both with a machined register for a set of sensor gears to be pressed onto, I do not know for 100% without looking.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by alamantia
Did you say you had axle wear and had a reason to go through the painstaking proccedure of swaping gears press fit in a 3' long shaft, good luck finding a press for that at Autozone. No you didnt, if you have pulled or pressed gears or bearings before you would know it isnt easy. Had I known you had a reason to do so I would suggest investing in a set of axle saving bearings since its a good idea to install new bearings anyway when your doing work of this nature.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48518/

Although I have both sets of axles one set is on the car and Im not pulling off my wheel to look but I would imagine they are the same axles, both with a machined register for a set of sensor gears to be pressed onto, I do not know for 100% without looking.
You may have unknowingly answered my question. I tried to put axle saver bearings on before and they did not work. The flange on the axle where thering rides prevents the axle from going in far enough to put the c clip on. This was on a four channel axle.

I have a press so swapping the gear would not be a big deal.

I found a decent deal on a low mileage 10 bolt that is a 3 channel. I am just tring to figure out if it is worth getting. Having another set of good axles would help the decision.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
You may have unknowingly answered my question. I tried to put axle saver bearings on before and they did not work. The flange on the axle where thering rides prevents the axle from going in far enough to put the c clip on. This was on a four channel axle.
Are you sure the axles weren't going in all the way because of the traction control sensor in the backing plate?

I have another set of 4 channel axles I don't need if you are interested. No rings.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

I have been trying to get the same answer since november. Finally someone bucked up and answered the question correctly. thank you very very much alamantia and keliente. You two should surf around and answer more questions.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Anytime.

Search this Thread