Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Recomended tools for 12-Bolt rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Recomended tools for 12-Bolt rebuilding

I'm looking for a good set of bearing pullers/installers, race installers, and dial indicators for 12-bolt rears. I plan on buying this weekend. I'm familiar with setting up most axles...just need the right tools. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-27-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only bearing seperator you will ever need. It does both carrier bearings and pinion bearings without destroying the cages..... it is available thru Randy's Ring & Pinion:

An Ingersol Rand IR2131 impact. Available thru many, but here is a good price summation:

A good slide hammer with the correct bearing puller (which I can not find a picture of right now) but Ill get you the part number if you wish:

You'll also need a good impact socket set, or at least the pinion nut socket by itself.

As for race installation tools, I use a set of old races and weld platen handles on them. This is by far the best race install tool I have used.... and they last the longest too. It only cost you the old races and some flat and bar stock.

Dial indicator. They are everywhere and you dont need an expensive one either. Its gonna fall off the housing a time or two and your gonna brake it, so for the price of a good brand name one.... you could purchase five that will work perfect for differential building.

The dial stand on the other hand..... is a different story. I have a Starrett that I have used for 18+ years... available many places orhere :

Last edited by chicane; 05-27-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks chicane....I'll be ordering tonight
Old 05-27-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starret, good ****

What does that bearing seperator cost?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Between $300.00 and $400.00, depending on who you purchase it from and if you get the larger adapter with it or not.

Originally Posted by sscam68
Starret, good ****

What does that bearing seperator cost?