Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Update on my leaking 9"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my leaking 9"

History: I installed a Moser/Strange 9" I got off an ebay builder, and shortly after noticed a leak. Figured it was the pinion seal, but nope. It looked to be leaking from the center section to housing. ****. After leaving a nice small puddle at my parking stall, I checked it out. Found the gear lube was leaking from the nut & bolt @ 5pm position for the center section to housing. I figure I smeared the silicone when dropping the center onto the T bolts and housing. I posted that it was leaking and I wanted to simply remove the nut & washer, clean the area, and then push some rtv around the gap, install new washer and nut, but was recommended to pull the center and redo it all.
I am stubborn sometimes, and went to the lift, sprayed the area down with some degreaser, pulled the nut & washer, cleaned again. Smeared some copper RTV in there and replaced the nut and washer. Sealed it up so far, checked it after a week of driving and getting on it, no drips. So relieved thats taken care of, I ship the car in about 3weeks back to the mainland.