Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help Help!!! PINON BOLT PRELOAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Help!!! PINON BOLT PRELOAD

I feel like a disgrase..... I was trying to replace the pinion seal for my differental used my dremmel to "try" and matchmark the position of my bolt but accidently did it to the washer that just moves around.... Once that fell out I knew i'm done... How to I get the preload correct now that I do not have the mark... What do I need to buy what are the steps behind fixing this correctly please help!

Last edited by Firebirdgm2000; 05-31-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Also any idea how many threads I can temporarly keep it at
Old 05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firebirdgm2000
Also any idea how many threads I can temporarly keep it at
Temporarily? There is no temporarily when it comes to the pinion nut - either it's on there and ready to go, or you don't drive the car. Pinion bearing preload needs 24-32 inch/lbs tq with new bearings/crush sleeve/etc, or 8-12 inch/lbs if reusing your old stuff, so torque it to the latter amount.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

what tools are required to get the proper pinion bearing preload so far i've got a 1/2 torque wrench
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Launching!

you'll need to pull the axles and carrier bc pinion bearing preload is set properly with just the pinion gear installed in the case. you'll need a tool to hold the yoke while you tighten the pinion nut and you'll need an inch pound wrench to verify the pinion bearing preload. when you pull the carrier make sure to keep the shims on the same side they came off of.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

I have never uninstalled a rear before i'm not sure where to set the pinion bearing preload is there any pictures that could help? And what are shims and carrier
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never uninstalled a rear before i'm not sure where to set the pinion bearing preload is there any pictures that could help? And what are shims and carrier
Yikes. Don't take this the wrong way bud, but I think you should have left this job to a professional if you don't even know what the carrier & shims are...

Do you have any good mechanic buddies that could help you out?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Once you pull the cover on the axle you will see what the carrier is. Go to fullsizechevy.com and down load the 10 bolt gear install write-up written by VHATO. It explains EVERYTHING. Also, since you will have the rear apart, just replace the crush sleeve with a new one.

When I tightening the pinion nut I use a pipe wrench to hold the yoke, and a 3/4" drive ratchet on the nut. I then use a bar-type inch-pound torque wrench to check preload.

Download the above mentioned write up and read it.