Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Quick tip on getting the posi out

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick tip on getting the posi out

I've read on the boards, magazine articles, etc, where people use prybars to get the posi out. Just read it in another thread. You risk nicking something or dropping the carrier on the floor doing it that way.

A much easier and more controlled way of doing it: put the closed end of a wrench on one of the ring bolts. Use a ratchet & socket to turn the pinion nut so wrench goes towards the top. When wrench gets near the housing, put a folded rag between wrench and housing to protect housing.

Ratchet some more. Once wrench gets stopped by housing, it will spit the posi right out. The slower you turn the ratchet, the slower it will comeout, very easy to control. Doesn't matter how tight it's shimmed in, a 1/2 drive ratchet is all you need to get it to come out.

Since I'm still reading about people using prybars, don't think it's common knowledge, so I thought I'd put it on here.

Last edited by angel71rs; 05-31-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens when it gets to the point where the ring and pinion disengage and it chips one of the gear teeth?

I use a pry bar. But what does that mean? People think prybar, hmmm, 4 feet long, thats going to do some damage.

I actually use a 12" crowbar on a ring gear bolt and slide it right out.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
What happens when it gets to the point where the ring and pinion disengage and it chips one of the gear teeth?
Totally agree.

A big prybar with a rag over the end of it if you feel like you need to be super cautious will do the trick just fine with absolutely no damage.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
You don't put enough force on it to chip anything, let alone a gear tooth. You'll be surprised at how little effort is required, and as the carrier slides out, the effort decreases.

I've done it this way for > 20 years, never damaged anything. If you're going to do a gear swap and you don't care about any possible damage to the old gears, e.g. 2.73s, try it and see how you like it.

Last edited by angel71rs; 06-01-2006 at 02:13 AM.