Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

dana 60 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dana 60 ???

hey guys i have a quick question.. i have a local friend that is doing a dana 60 in his H/C firehawk and i cant get ahold of him right now.....
how expensive / difficulty is this rearend to install. Dana has a manufactering plant here in my town so i can pick it up directly from the plant, but i want to know what kinda of hit im looking at on the wallet and if i can do the install myself..... as far as the install everything will be put together at the plant if i can manage it, all i want to have to do is take my 10bolt off and put this one in place of it, if at all possible, if it is a hugely difficult task there a few places i know that can do the install, thanks for the help....
right now im not worried about breaking my 10bolt but hopefully in within a year im going to start a turbo lq9 block into my chasis and im going to put the LT1 motor into my datsun 280z, so im just getting all my pricing and everything so i know when i can start
Old 06-01-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

The rear-end is actually made by Strange and it is called the S-60. It is modeled after the Dana 60, but not manufactured by Dana. Pick-up, therefore, probably isn't an option for you.

The rear-end runs around $23-2400, plus shipping which is around $150. Additionally, you will need a shorter driveshaft, which runs about $3-400. I think you will also need some incidentals like fluid, sway-bar mounts, and maybe a couple of other things...maybe $50 worth of stuff. Then, you will need to send Strange your backing plates so that they can assemble the rear-end...or you could pay them $200 for new ones.

Install isn't difficult, but it does require some tools and a little know-how. I think there are some write-ups around here on swapping rear-axles.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Don't do it. Get a 9" or 12 bolt. I got the strange S60 and do NOT like it. Heavy, whines and leaks from pinion seal. I filled to drain hole, took 2.8 qts. I was told by starnge i put to much in. should have 2.5 qts. then why is the fill hole positioned where it is. Ive got 390 miles so far. i know the pro5.0 shifter without gasket, polly tranny mount and adjustable ta will add noise. But this thing is horrible. Wish I had gone with non strange 9" or mosier 12 bolt.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

i love mine but i did make the mistake of fixing my 10 bolt about 4x before biting the bullet and getting the s60--so maybe i'm extatic cuz i know i have something back there that won't break. yes i have a little gear whine but its dead quiet at 40mph and below. I've had no issues with this and love not having to worry about it breaking. it feels good and solid and driveline slack is at a minimum with mine. only thing i've done is heat cyle the gears adn change the gear oil in it after 350miles.

if you can take the stocker out--you can throw this one in. to get my stock sway bar back on the car had to be on the ground. and get the shorten driveshaft or have yours shortened.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 PM
NXZ
On The Tree

I love my S60 no problems ...... I am one of the extreamly lucky ones. I have no whine at all and no leaks......I even ran the same at the track....12.02 @115 stock LS1 M6 with a 75 shot of nitrous, free mods and a sticky tire.......
Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys im not sure about not being able to get it from the plant here, i dont remember if he said he got it from the local plant or he ordered it. im gonna have to check on that if not that price dont sound to bad, i can handle that. what kind of route did you go with axles on these S-60's does strange sell axles and such to go with them
Old 06-01-2006, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Mines loud. Fitment is awosme! Quality rocks! Doesnt leak yet! Took it to the track and I beat on it! 12.1 @ 117 with a 1.9 60ft was the best I could do with MT Steet Drags radials(need to learn how to drive it). You do need the shorter drive shaft and the sway bar brackets are mounted to it already. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...o/DSC03916.jpg

Kyle
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

ive put another 150 easy miles on it watching the fluid level. stayed same and the leaking from pinion seal has stopped. it about 1/4-1/2 inch from bottom of fill hole. changed fluid again. bet i overfilled. so lesson 2.5 qts fluid. majority of noise i think is from drivetrane setup. ive got over 500 easy miles on it now. tonights midnight madness and it's time.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How loud is loud to you guys with S60s? Something that can be heard over the radio turned on to a moderate level? Louder than a typical 10 bolt with 4.10s?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

I might as well chime in here...

I FINALLY got to drive mine a bit (doing too manu changes at once and having no time with a wife and 4 kids just sucks), almost 350 miles on it so far and mine is pretty damn quiet...

I mean I barely have any noticeable noise on decel above 50mph, which is only noticeable with the windows up and the stereo off... And then it is quite minor, as my stock 10-bolt made more noise on decel...

Initally I only had a noise above 80mph, and then what I was hearing was more related to the driveshaft because of the pinion angle, I reset it to less and even that kind of noise is gone... In other words mine is silent with the windows down or the windows up and any sort of stereo volume... With the windows up and the stereo off you hear more of the the torque arm shifting loads and various exhaust noises than any real 'gear whine'...

I mean c'mon with a chassis mounted torque arm you are ALWAYS going to get some rear-end noise, but my S60 is BY FAR quieter than my stock 10-bolt with 3.23s ever were...

In other words I am VERY happy with my S60 so far... I figure I'll give it until about 400+ miles, then drain the fluid, remove the cover, cleanout the inside, seal it back up and fill it up... I plan to do the same thing after another 1000 miles...

But really, since I followed thier 'break-in' instructions and used 2 bottles of LSD additive (I have a Power-Lok), I can only imagine things getting even quieter once only a single bottle of LSD additive is used...
Old 06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine sounds like an opera behind me. strange has been willing to take care of it though so im not too worried about it.between 45-65 mph its unbearably loud on accel with no noise on decel. i just finished break in miles but i have yet to get my pinion angle set correctly. after i do so i will see if it gets quieter and if not i will have to take up strange on fixing it.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange that there's such a variance on the amount of noise these rears make, some being virtually silent, and some screaming. Assuming everything is set up the same way, shipped from Strange, and break-in was done properly, what could be causing that? I know manufacturing tolerances exist for a reason, but something just seems weird.

Quick Reply: dana 60 ???