Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Problem with 9" and True Trak

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with 9" and True Trak

We were setting up my 9" 31 spline 3.70 driveline solutions rear last nite and encountered a problem. before pressing the bearings and backing plates on, we test fitted the axles to ensure which was the longer side, we slid the axles into the housing and spun the axles and the yoke spun as well, so it seems everything is going ok. then we press the bearings and backing plates on and put them into the housing and spin the axles, nothing moves. Did moser send us the wrong axles being too short? has anyone else encountered this problem? thanks!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT guys,

I was the one helping on the install, and can attest the axles/center section was set in correctly. The more interesting thing is we measured the axle length and the axle tube length to the center section. On both sides we SHOULD be catching at least 1" of gearing on the centersection/axle. When you slide in the axle, it slides into the center section, but never catches a gear. If it weren't for Clay sticking in the axles BEFORE the axles are in, i would say he got 31 spline axles and 35 spline center section. We took the longer axle, slid it in the short side, and it did spin the center section.

I wanna believe it's just axles too short, but then why in the hell are the measurments telling us they aren't, and more importantely, we are slading the axle's into the centersection, as we can sit and see it from the other side of the housing going into the center section. It's like the center section and axles just arent "mating" up....I'm lost....

Clay-shoulda been a real man and just bought a real locker...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call scott at dls
Old 06-12-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by co.6z28
call scott at dls
done it, waiting to hear back........
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
We were setting up my 9" 31 spline 3.70 driveline solutions rear last nite and encountered a problem. before pressing the bearings and backing plates on, we test fitted the axles to ensure which was the longer side, we slid the axles into the housing and spun the axles and the yoke spun as well, so it seems everything is going ok. then we press the bearings and backing plates on and put them into the housing and spin the axles, nothing moves. Did moser send us the wrong axles being too short? has anyone else encountered this problem? thanks!
It sounds to me if everything tested fine before having the bearings pressed on each axle then things should be okay. The shorter axle goes in on the driver's side. Are the axles in far enough? We had to use a piece of wood to hammer the bearing/axle in far enough to get the nuts on the t-bolts. From there we pulled the axles in by tighting up the nuts.

Last edited by Go Texas Tech; 06-12-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Go Texas Tech
It sounds to me if everything tested fine before having the bearings pressed on each axle then things should be okay. The shorter axle goes in on the driver's side. Are the axles in far enough? We had to use a piece of wood to hammer the bearing/axle in far enough to get the nuts on the t-bolts. From there we pulled the axles in by tighting up the nuts.
ya im pretty sure we got it in as far as it would go.....
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Moser sent you 3rd gen axles, I have had this same issue with them before. I'll have Moser send you a call tag for the wrong ones and get you the correct ones in a few days since they need to build them. Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.

Scott @ DLS
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
Moser sent you 3rd gen axles, I have had this same issue with them before. I'll have Moser send you a call tag for the wrong ones and get you the correct ones in a few days since they need to build them. Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.

Scott @ DLS
ahhhhh that explains a lot, thanks Scott!