Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Guys with spools look here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with spools look here!

This is for the running the full spools on the street, how do you like them? and how many miles on the street do you normally drive a year? I putting together a budget 9 bolt and I don't have enough for a true-trac or locker at the moment, so I may cruise with a spool for a while. Please give opinions only if you have driven with a full spool, thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Its not quite as bad as I thought it would be. If your rear isnt perfectly centered (with adjustable LCA's) you'll notice a very bad irregular wear pattern on 1 side. I dont drive it very much at all (maybe 50-75 miles a week). The harder/thinner sidewall tire you get, the more noticable it will be around very tight corners like parking lots.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

just drove mine today for the first time, seems like the car wants to push straight in the turns and takes more effort when turning, plus the tires chirp alot in turns. i shall see how i like it the more i drive it.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIRDONNOS
just drove mine today for the first time, seems like the car wants to push straight in the turns and takes more effort when turning, plus the tires chirp alot in turns. i shall see how i like it the more i drive it.
+1

Been driving on mine for the last couple of days.

You better have strong axles.

I personally don't mind it but the axles sure do take a beating. You can feel them being loaded up and released. A lot of fatigue loading involved.

Other than that, it doesn't bother me but I'm glad that I'm going to have another daily driver very soon.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Its not the end of street driving but you have to remember its there. Parking lot manuvers are a little rough, but can be done. I would recomend some harder street tires over some M/Ts for street driving. I dont think I would do it any different in my situaton. Just make sure that your axles are up to it.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sscam68
+1

Been driving on mine for the last couple of days.

You better have strong axles.

I personally don't mind it but the axles sure do take a beating. You can feel them being loaded up and released. A lot of fatigue loading involved.

Other than that, it doesn't bother me but I'm glad that I'm going to have another daily driver very soon.
i have 35 splines so i don't think there will be a problem.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't bother me. The only time you will ever really notice it is in tight turns. Some people will probably look at you funny because they can't figure out the chattering coming from the rear when your turning. I also run 35 spline axles although I know some on here running smaller ones.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I daily drove my car 400+ miles per week with a spool for about a year, 30 spline axles.

The car will want to push a bit more through turns, and tight turns/manuevers will make some noise. Automatic car is easier to drive than a standard with a spool.