Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Aren't all 4th gen rear ends posi???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aren't all 4th gen rear ends posi???

Just curious, because I thought that they were. I bought a complete rear end out of a 2001 camaro that had disc brakes and came with 3.42 gears, but when you turn one wheel, the other wheel spins in the opposite direction. That tells me that it is an open diff. One of the guys that I work with swears up and down that the Torsen diffs act like an open rear until one wheel starts to spin. Can anyone shed some light on this subject??? Thanks for any info!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigP
Just curious, because I thought that they were. I bought a complete rear end out of a 2001 camaro that had disc brakes and came with 3.42 gears, but when you turn one wheel, the other wheel spins in the opposite direction. That tells me that it is an open diff. One of the guys that I work with swears up and down that the Torsen diffs act like an open rear until one wheel starts to spin. Can anyone shed some light on this subject??? Thanks for any info!

That's normal for a Torsen diff...

The technical stuff is a bit hard to explain, but as long as you're laying down two patches of rubber, you're golden
Old 06-17-2006, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all 4th gen's had a posi. I believe with the V6 cars it was optional and I've seen many a unhappy buyer after they get a 3.42 gear rear only to find it was from a V6 car and came with the open diff.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
That's normal for a Torsen diff...

The technical stuff is a bit hard to explain, but as long as you're laying down two patches of rubber, you're golden
I can vouch for that, as my old SLP Take-off Torsen does the same thing.
It uses Torque Muliiplication for power transfer, which means if there is no traction at all on one wheel, the other one gets all the power since 0 times 0 = 0. Works great for straight line, but sucks for hard cornering, like when you auto-x.

I just installed a rear from an 01 SS that looks like a torsen unit, but spins both the same direction while the rear is elevated.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Some V6's came with open 3.42s.
If you buy a rear out of a V6 make sure you're getting it from a y87 car.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys, it is most appreciated. I was just wondering about it cause the rear end that is in my 98 T/A is a posi and the wheels both spin in the same direction. It isn't that big of a deal if it is an open diff because I am only using it as a temprary fill in until I get my 9 inch built.

Quick Reply: Aren't all 4th gen rear ends posi???