Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gears to tighten converter-how??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gears to tighten converter-how??

I just installed a 4400 converter with 2.73 gears. It's a lot of fun to drive but the stall is as loose as a vag the size of a refigerator box. It revs at 2100-2500 around town cruising at 35mph. To get going I have to rev it to around 3k or so. I can straight rev the engine (in drive, not neutral) to almost 4000rpms without any surging forward if I do it quickly. I was told getting 3.73s or 4.10s would tighten the stall up. I've decided to do 4.10s but was wondering how do gears tighten up the stall? Does it make it any easier to drive? Don't get me wrong, it's really not that bad to drive. It just feels (and probably sounds to whoever I drive past) a lot more like a high school kid in his first 6-speed than a high stalled automatic. Thanks for the answers everyone

Oh, a side note. I've been searching (made some posts about it) on where to find some AAM or Motive 4.10s for a 2 series carrier. I found Strange and Richmond but have been told they are noisy. I've spent a while on many sponsors sites to no avail. Thanks again
Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

TTT for everyone who doesn't have a life and is sitting at home on a Saturday night (like me)
Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will tighten it -at a speed- because you will be turning
higher RPM and be more coupled-up. But you will still be
turning those RPM. It won't feel as slushy but it's not a
way to suddenly cruise tight and quiet. That's where the
converter clutch apply settings some in, along with the
quality of said clutch.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4400 Stall in a 2.73 geared car!!!!!

Those 4.10's will help out with tightning that converter up. Like he said above, there won't be as much as a slushy/draggy feeling to the car, but still yet it's not a "small" converter by no means.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

I gotcha. So, I won't be able to "free rev" the car like it's in neutral when I am driving, correct? If so, whatever. I love this thing and am getting 4.10s either way so I guess I'll understand then!

Anybody else out there with any tips on a good place to get 4.10s for a 2 series carrier that won't whine? Thanks