Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whirring Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring Driveshaft

well forget my first post about the differential.

we put the car on the lift,
opened up the diff and everything
was clean...fluid, gears and all.

we learned that the whirring noise
wasnt from the diff but it was
coming from the driveshaft...towards the middle.

anyone ever have this issue or know
whats wrong with it? ur guys's input
is much appreciated. thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Mine does the same thing since I installed the 4.10 gears. It makes a noise that sounds like steam rising. I've heard its because the driveshaft is spinning so much faster. No problems yet.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dirveshaft is not unlike a stethoscope.........

The noise could be a tailshaft bushing in the transmission, a midshaft bearing or a pinion bearing. If you have changed the gear ratio, this could also change the shaft speed as previously stated as it will change the shaft speed. I have also seen worn transmission and torque arm mounts play a role in this.

But the question is.... what gear were you in, unloaded and on the rack.... when you heard this noise ?? Did it happen in all gears or just the one ??

Last edited by chicane; 06-22-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

i Have the same issue, Sound like a pinion bearing but its not? I changed my gears back to stock and its still the same
Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chicane
The dirveshaft is not unlike a stethoscope.........

The noise could be a tailshaft bushing in the transmission, a midshaft bearing or a pinion bearing. If you have changed the gear ratio, this could also change the shaft speed as previously stated as it will change the shaft speed. I have also seen worn transmission and torque arm mounts play a role in this.

But the question is.... what gear were you in, unloaded and on the rack.... when you heard this noise ?? Did it happen in all gears or just the one ??

it does it for all the gears. i have stock gears (3.42, fluid was clean and gears intact). like the post above mine, i can hear it bounce off other parked cars driving down the road and whatnot. i noticed it a while ago, but just recently it just got horrible. i know both my rear wheel bearings are kinda worn (they shift a little bit when you put force on it on the lift) but we heard it "whirl" "whine" or "wwweeee" big time, right along the driveshaft. i heard it can be u-joints, pinions, or bearings....but i dunno about everyone else, but if it was up to me, i wish i had the cash to just replace everything, except i dont and would be nice to solve this problem right away. THANKS!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... the clean diff fluid is what gets me.

Have you look at the trans fluid yet ?? The trans can (and does) transfer quite a bit of noise thru the shaft and it could be something to look at..... just to be on the safe side. Replacing diff parts is eay and cheaper than tranny parts.

The axle bearing will move side to side (end play) because they are of the 'c-clip' design and the end play is required.

U joints are typically vibration related... but I have heard them make some noise.... but not a whirrrrrr.......