Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)

NEW DTE DIFFERENTIAL PRODUCT~ Heavy Duty Billet Aluminum Right Differential Side Cover

We are pleased to announce our latest heavy duty Corvette driveline product designed, engineered and produced by Dynotech Engineering Inc., specifically targeted for the 1997-2004 Getrag differential found in the M6/M12/A4 C5 Corvettes' using any gear ratio or any 2/3-series differentials. We've been developing this product for a few months now and have settled into this final design that is scheduled for full production.

Why this product was developed?
The current O.E.M. Getrag differential configuration uses the right side removable cover of the unit to provide the carrier bearing outer race saddle that supports the right side of the carrier, which carries the ring gear. This side cover must provide bearing support, differential sealing, resist deflection and to provide enough structural support to resist the natural tendency of the carrier assembly from trying to "walk" out of the case under heavy stress loading as a result of hard acceleration.

That O.E.M. design is quite strong and even stronger in our aftermarket preparation~ but the current right side cover still has its deficiencies, mainly due to it simply being a "cast" piece of aluminum that often times contains metallurgical porosity, voids and casting flaws within it that can't be seen, which inherently produces a weaker casting from these flaws. We've literally scrapped hundreds of the O.E.M. castings that don't meet our high quality standards just because of this trait alone.

When the O.E.M. casting finally does yield to the stress in high performance applications due to metallurgical fatigue, the negative result is split open side covers, heavy cracks, carrier bearing failures and ultimately complete differential failure where nothing is salvageable. This of course is not only aggravating of having your car down, but is quite costly to repair.

Our product is designed to address and correct all of those inherent flaws that are present in the O.E.M. castings...

Improved Design Features
- Our heavy duty right-side cover is manufactured entirely of aircraft industry grade 6061-T6 billet aluminum using CNC processes for absolute repeatable dimensional accuracy from piece-to-piece.
- Heavy circumference "girdling" of the entire part for added mounting ear strength.
- Extra thick mounting flanges to resist flange deflection during hard launches.
- Improved O-ring groove to eliminate side cover leaks.
- Massively thick bearing race saddles to provide superior carrier bearing support that eliminates carrier walk and bearing saddle deflection.
- Improved internal bearing oiling strategies for cooler differential operation and promotes longer bearing life. (This is especially beneficial to road racers)
- Tighter outer seal fitment for improved seal retention.
- Outer seals are physically screwed to the side cover to completely eliminate any chances that the outer seal can pop out of the cover. (This is also especially beneficial to road racers)
- Removable lubricant deflector that cannot break off like the O.E. parts do.
- Deep bearing race saddle pockets that allow for more accurate carrier shimming for high performance use.
- Improved oil deflector design that funnels larger quantities of lubricant to the bearing faster, while shedding any unnecessary lubricant sooner to prevent bearing oiling starvation under high cornering loads, while simultaneously eliminating seal "flooding" from too much oil feed.
- Heavily radiused corners to eliminate cracking.
- Extra thick main body to eliminate side cover deflection as a whole and to provide the main case additional structural rigidity.
- DTE name and website engraved into side cover for easy identification

This product can be ordered as an option for any one of our differentials we build here or can be purchased outright for the DIY'er and/or for your tuner-builder to install. It will be sold as a kit that will contain a new outer O-ring, outer axle shaft seal, axle shaft seal retention stainless steel fasteners, oil deflector and deflector retention stainless steel fasteners.

This product will fit with any model of differential strut we have ever produced and is *STRONGLY* suggested for anyone who is *serious*, that takes their car drag racing, road racing, DE events or auto-x. We suggest that this product be installed by individuals or companies familiar with the Corvette Getrag differential.

Production of this product will commence next week and the kits should be available approx. 2 weeks after that. Pricing will follw shortly, but the complete kit should fall into the $699-$749 range.

Finally, this product has been in development for quite some time now and it's just another one of our HD Corvette driveline products exclusively designed, engineered and produced by DTE to meet the high driveline durability needs of the Corvette IRS differential owner, both now and in the future. We've got a few other related components in prototype now that will be released within weeks also and we'll never cease in trying to engineer the "perfect part" to meet everyone's needs!

*Photos display the kit contents, and stock vs. our product for both front and backside views.

We're serious about Corvette IRS driveline durability. Are you...???

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to call. (260)407-5455

Best Regards,
DTE
Attached Thumbnails ***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)-pict0001.jpg   ***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)-pict0002.jpg   ***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)-pict0003.jpg  
Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

bump
Old 07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad ***. When I get another C5 you can count on me buying all your rear parts. You have amazing product with even better customer service.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you.

Here are additional photos of another broken differential that arrived here with the same problem as described in the original post regarding the O.E.M. cast parts fracturing under heavy loads.

Best Regards,
DTE
Attached Thumbnails ***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)-pict0005.jpg  
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynotech Engineering
Thank you.

Here are additional photos of another broken differential that arrived here with the same problem as described in the original post regarding the O.E.M. cast parts fracturing under heavy loads.

Best Regards,
DTE
Damn, that one's FUBARed. I don't own a 'Vette and don't see one in my future, but your side plates sure would make nice wall art. At least in my room. I doubt my wife would see the beauty in them.
Ken
Old 07-13-2006, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dynotech Engineering
Thank you.

Best Regards,
DTE

At what HP ratings are you seeing failures? Just want to know so I can reference this for my customers.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

That's a very difficult, open-ended question with no definitive answer due to the nearly infinite variables that may be present in any given powertrain/vehicle combination that can fracture driveline components. A driveline shouldn't be rated by how much HP it can withstand, because HP isn't what breaks parts...torque and application is. However, most can be rated somewhat by what multiplicative TQ through the transmission there will be in a given gear, vehicle weight, gear ratio, vehicle application, launch RPM, tire selection and so on to determine what's best for you.

Additionaly, most C5/C6 Corvette's experience wheel hop in some fashion either from accelerating from a standstill or at the shift~ which will shatter even the best built driveline parts, so you must over-build your driveline to withstand the stresses of that also in case it happens.

We always suggest to our customers to build the strongest driveline that you can afford and then drive your car accordingly with common sense based on those options chosen. Also, to complete the entire driveline package, don't forget to install good aftermarket shocks, poly suspension bushings, good alignment, good tires, etc. so that your new differential is surrounded by a an equally durable chassis.

There is no one silver-bullet component that singularly makes for rock-solid drivetrain strength, but rather the sum of a number of drivetrain upgrades working together in tandem that produces driveline reliability pass-after-pass.

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Old 07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

i love the corvette tax..... 750 dollars seems extremely expensive for a plate...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

There is *NO* "Corvette Tax" here as you so eloquently put it and anyone who has used our HP driveline products direcly for themselves experiences first hand that there is far more to our products' engineering than just a "plate" as you state and the components are precision machined/high quality.

Feel free to go out for yourself and price aircraft industry grade, high-density 6061-T6 billet aluminum, complete the engineering to produce a product like this that performs better than described, invest the capital needed to purchase tooling to CNC-machine the component and then inventory over $13,000 worth of raw material/finished product to supply our dealers. Add in marketing time investment & shipment materials cost and you'll soon see there is no "Corvette Tax" here, nor has there ever been with any of our products. Not to mention what it *WILL* cost you to repair a damaged differential/driveline when the factory side cover fails due to fatigue. It's easy for someone to make foolish claims like this when they have no clue what it takes to produce something like this and when looking in from the outside...

If you can produce these "cheaply" with the same high quality standards that all of our products have implemented into them...we'll buy them from you....................

Lastly, the cost is $649, *NOT* $750 as you claim (which was on the high- side)...much lower than our previous projections.

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

hmmm... pretty sure your first post says 699-749....

your DTE brace is awesome ill admit that.... but 90% of the fialures i have seen on rears are solved by your brace... how can this plate cost more than the entire DTE brace??? hrmmm.. questions questions....

explain to me how something with half the engineering... half the material.. and pretty much half the product can cost twice as much??

sounds like corvette tax to me....
Old 07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm... pretty sure your first post says 699-749....
As we clearly stated in the original post~ that cost projection was an intial estimate on product cost at that time, *NOT* the final pricing. We brought this item to market *LOWER* than what was projected.

explain to me how something with half the engineering... half the material.. and pretty much half the product can cost twice as much??
How do you figure it has half the engineering??? How do you figure the material costs are the same to even compare tempered steel to aircraft-grade aluminum??? The size of the product does not typically determine cost either....

As we stated, when you go out and produce this component with less cost, but still with advanced engineering, superior USA produced materials, CNC operations on 3-axis and do so in *VERY* low production volumes where you *MIGHT* break even- than we will buy from you. We're ready to buy from you when you are ready to sell.......

As stated, believe what you will (as your mind seems to be made up no matter how it's explained to you)...there is no silly "Corvette tax" here, nor has there ever been, no matter how much you want to cling to that fallacy about our products.

Good day.

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 07-25-2006, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

hey... just let me clarify... i dont beleive any of your other products include such a corvette tax... but like i said.. even 700 dollars for a plate is completely outlandish.. for 300 dollars more i have have CNC machined cylinder heads that i guarantee have much more machining and MUCH more engineering behind them...

im not attacking DTE by any means.. your guy's products are awesome, price points are a little high on some things and i believe this is one of them... thats JMHO

i have machined simlar plates in my machining classes at the university and this plate just seems nowhere near 700 dollars worth...

anyways...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and hopefully the side cover on the differential in your car never fractures, otherwise $649 will seem like pennies compared to huge, "outlandish" driveline repair bill you'll be facing for quality replacement parts. Good luck!

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 07-25-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Good to see you guys bringing another great product to the market. I know of a number of our customers at FLP that have sang the praises of the strut brace. Especially John Reese.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maddboost
Good to see you guys bringing another great product to the market. I know of a number of our customers at FLP that have sang the praises of the strut brace. Especially John Reese.
John's car is quite impressive indeed! Consistant low-9's with the wheels in the air is something to see in a C5 Corvette, especially with his car leaving as hard as it does. He's got the best differential parts we offer, along with a whole host of other HD driveline parts form some of the best folks/shops in the biz.

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

We tightened up the cycle time a bit in some areas to quicken the machining process for increased production efficiency and further reduced machining waste, so the component now takes a bit less time/material to produce than our prototype cover did; therefore the overall cost was brought down below our intial cost projection stated in the opening post. The entire kit will come in at $649 when in full production.

Best Regards,
DTE
Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks like a good addition to the C5 driveline.

Quick Reply: ***New DTE Differential Product*** (photos)