Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

quick gear install question need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick gear install question need opinions

I was installing the gears in my car this weekend and ran into a problem. I went about a half a turn too far when installing the pinion and crushing the crush sleeve. We backed it up a half a turn and put it at 15 in lbs. Do yall think this will cause a problem with the gears or not.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Launching!

come on guys just a few opinions! ttt
Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Launching!

anybody ttt
Old 07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ghostwhitez
anybody ttt
PM Young, he's the man on gears
Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ghostwhitez
I was installing the gears in my car this weekend and ran into a problem. I went about a half a turn too far when installing the pinion and crushing the crush sleeve. We backed it up a half a turn and put it at 15 in lbs. Do yall think this will cause a problem with the gears or not.
GET ANOTHER CRUSH SLEEVE AND TRY AGAIN! Once you go too far and then loosen the pinion nut, the crush sleeve cannot provide adequate clamping force on the pinion bearing races to keep it from loosening up and screwing up the bearings, and possibly the housing / pinion. It's MUCH easier to install a new crush sleeve NOW rather than find out the hard way. NEVER "reuse" a crush sleeve.

Don't worry, it happens. I did the same thing myself on my type-O Olds rear end.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you re-using the (old) bearings from before the gear install or are they new with the gear install ??

Because........ 15 (rolling) inch pounds of pre-load isnt enough, if they are new bearings. A half turn might just be ok....
Old 07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
Are you re-using the (old) bearings from before the gear install or are they new with the gear install ??

Because........ 15 (rolling) inch pounds of pre-load isnt enough, if they are new bearings. A half turn might just be ok....
You could be correct, however he's already backed the pinion nut off, which destroys the bearing race clamping force provided by the crush sleeve. Only way to ensure you recover that clamping force is the crush the sleeve further, which is probably not the direction he wants to go (higher preload yet). Best way to be safe is try again w/ a new crush sleeve.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
GET ANOTHER CRUSH SLEEVE AND TRY AGAIN! Once you go too far and then loosen the pinion nut, the crush sleeve cannot provide adequate clamping force on the pinion bearing races to keep it from loosening up and screwing up the bearings, and possibly the housing / pinion. It's MUCH easier to install a new crush sleeve NOW rather than find out the hard way. NEVER "reuse" a crush sleeve.

Don't worry, it happens. I did the same thing myself on my type-O Olds rear end.
What he said!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Launching!

They are the old bearings i got a new crush sleeve and pinion seal and will be installing it tomorrow. I also purchased a series 3 auburn carrier to get rid of the stock 2 series and will hopefully be putting the car back together tomorrow.