Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange S60 running hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange S60 running hot

Broke the rear in as per the specs. Changed the fluid at 1000 miles. During the break in I noticed the rear seemed hot. Called Starnge and they said its normal for a rear to generate some heat. Ran about another several hundred miles or so and its still gettin hot. Changed the fluid and it is really dark. I think the fluid may be burning up. But not sure. I was wondering if maybe the main bearing caps may be over torqued? I'll calling strange first thing in the morning.....

Also there is some whine too, cant hear it over the radio though.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your're prob ok..as long as there is no serious metalic debris in the oil run a high quality oil such as Mobil or Unocal 76 avoid "Snake oil" As far as heat goes I run my oil in my gears as close to 300 deg as possible thats in a competition setting but to just give you an idea that temp in the 200's will be ok...
Old 07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input. Before I dropped all this money on the S60 I never thought of rear end temps. Now that I do have it I just want to make sure my money was well spent. My fluid was dark but I didnt see any sort of metallic flakes or chips.

Any other input?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

Its not unusual for the rear to be hot. If it gets to the point were it would boil water you have a problem. The way you describe it I think you are fine. My 9" gets a littly tosty after a drive as well.

Is the heat spread out or located in a single place? Bad carrier bearing? pinion bearing?

Chris
Old 07-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

the heat is spread out. I called strange and they said to check the vent to make sure the hot air is able to pass through. Just to let you I didnt paint over the vent. SO I'll do that and see what happens. The whine concerns me a bit as well but from what I have read its no where near where some others are.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The idiots at Strange over tightened my carrier bearings and the rear got so hot you could not keep your hand on the wheel spokes. The rear was also loaded with filings. All this occured before the pumpkin froze up. The people at Strange are ********.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Talked to strange the other day and they said the vent on top of the housing may be clogged and that might be whats causing all the heat build up. I'll be taking a look at it today or tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Plugged vent, gotta call BS.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

I have my doubts as well. But I gotta go through the process. Its all I can do.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have a non contact pyrometer? do you how hot is hot? you might be worried about nothing... If the vent was blocked it would be wanting to push out gaskets or seals...
Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

The seals are not leaking at all. I do not know exact temp but if I hold my hand on it after a cruise down the highway at 75 mph I will burn my hand. I'll have the vent out in a few to look.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lift the rear off the ground and see how freely the tires turn. If there is significant resistance something is binding. Over tight carrier bearings might be the cause.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the gear backlash set at? For hot street you want at least .010, hard racing .015
Old 07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Got the vent off and its not blocked.
Off the ground the tires are easy to spin.
As far as backlash you've got me. Strange built it. I didnt wanna go through the hassle. Just wanted lift it up and put it in.

SO anyway I'll be calling Strange first thing in the morning to see next what the step is.

I will also try to track down a pyrometer to see if I can get an exact temp. Does anyone know of any local stores that carry them by any chance.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the lash was only .007? Anyway, if the wheels are turning freely I think you're just fine. Remember the gears have to wear themselves in too, so in that process you are probably generating extra heat.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

If your that worried about it take it to a shop and have the lash checked..you can do it by removing the cover and using a magnetic base indicator. sorry it cant be done by moving the driveshaft....Ring and pinions generate serious heat you shouldnt be able to put your hand on it without out burning it...as a matter of fact ....heres your sign.. moving the the wheels wont tell ya **** either your moving rotors which drag and the driveshaft which turns the mainshaft in the trans...
Old 07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Called Strange and they told me to take it to a shop. Its goin in thursday afternoon. So hopefully I'll hear something friday
Old 07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well car is at the shop. Tore the rear down and discovered some messed up carrier bearings. Apparantly they were over torque and caused binding which in turn caused the friction that caused all that glorious heat that you could fry an egg on.

On the plus side Strange is taking care of it. BUt for over 2k I would have hoped for it to be done right the first time and not have to drive 40 miles one way to take it to a shop. Oh well.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad you found out what was wrong and that Strange is picking up the tab. However this should have naver happened in the first place. IMHO Strange is a rat bastard company.