Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

opinions on spool in a street car

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on spool in a street car

my posi broke and im considering just putting a spool in it to save money... what are you alls thoughts on this? what are the cons of running one on the street (besides the obvious tire wear) also the car will only be driven ocassionally, though sometimes i may drive it daily
Old 07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes tires will go away like right now! I got 1500 miles on a new set of DR's with no track time, and it is hard to steer, it is not for the street &
dont drive in the rain
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Launching!

i daily drive my car in my sig. its got a moser 9 inch with a spool and 3.89 gears. i went through a set of bfg drag radials in about 2k street driving. turning in parking lots and such is a little harder. i've driven it in the rain planty and with normal street tires it wasnt a problem for me.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Old Drag Racer

Since you said you might drive it daily I just don't think you'll like the spool. If you're using it as a daily driver and it rains all week you're seriously going to be hating life. That being said I'm putting a spool in my car as soon as funds allow. My car is 95% race and 5% street though and it will never have to serve as my daily driver.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Unless your hardcore you won't like the spool. I put a spool in and pulled it back out... And I'm pretty hard core.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

I have driven a spooled rear on the street. It was in a G body car, not an F body but I don't think that really matters. It really blows. The car hopped all around when making sharp low speed turns, squeeled the tires all the time around turns and was a general pain in the ***. Paralell parking was a joke, driving in the rain on drag radials was scarey and the suspension (and chassis) creaking and clunking was just not worth it. Like others in this thread, I'm pretty hard core and I won't do the spool thing again.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
MASS seller approved

im putting a spool on a 10 bolt
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Before spending the money on a spool weld you factory posi up and try it for a while. Just take it out of the car and weld the hell out of it. If you don't like it after that for a daily driver then there is not need in spending the money for a spool. You won't be out on any thing since the limited slip is done!!! I personally like a spool or a full blown detroit-locker for the street, but this is just my opinion.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Default Spool Fool

I have a spool in my blown '73 Camaro and it's true, my drag radials are shredding from driving on the street! It also drags a front tire when I back out of my driveway and leaves a mark. The car binds up and pops the unibody when trying to park. I usually smack the gas to spin the rear around. I don't recommend it for the street at all!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

I like my spool. Not too bad on the street, but I don't daily drive mine.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I hate driving mine with a spool and normal street tires but with ET Streets I don't mind it at all.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Here's the poll I started asking basically the same question.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/471259-full-spool-weekend-warrior.html

I don't mind it for a weekend car, I could drive it everyday if I had to, but wouldn't want to. Yes it does eat tires quickly. The only time it really bothers me much is parking lots and the black marks on the driveway.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

About the same here. I've got a spool in my old school. It doesn't bother me at all until I try and turn sharp, like in a parking lot, then its kinda a pain. I don't drive it hardly so it's fine. If you run DRs, they won't make any noise when they slip. I run MTs and they don't make any noise. The spool is worth while when you plant the power to the ground.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
im putting a spool on a 10 bolt
you really do smoke crack don't you. thats probably the dumbest thing i have heard anyone say. you should quit throwing money around and save for a 12 bolt because you will need it if your car is as bad as you try to make it sound.

As for the question at hand. I have driven a spooled car on the street and i didn't mind it at all .... honestly, i had no problems with it even in parking lots. I have also been a passenger in a spooled car that squealed the tires going around corners in a parking lot. These are just the side effects of putting the spool in and is a choice that you as the owner have to make. If you can handle going through tires and don't mind the squealing at low speed cornering then by all means put a spool in your car .... I will have one going in probably towards the end of the year when I order my 12 bolt.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by young
Before spending the money on a spool weld you factory posi up and try it for a while. Just take it out of the car and weld the hell out of it. If you don't like it after that for a daily driver then there is not need in spending the money for a spool. You won't be out on any thing since the limited slip is done!!! I personally like a spool or a full blown detroit-locker for the street, but this is just my opinion.
Any write-up on the welding? I lost my limited slip and want to try this.

Quick Reply: opinions on spool in a street car