Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt help!!!!!

ok this may be kind of long so bare with me....
i have a 01 camaro a4 w/ 2.73's gears and a bad wheel bearing...so i decided while i was having the wheel bearing replaced why not get 3.73's....

LET THE FUN BEGIN

so everything started off smooth, i knew i needed series 2 gears and i was gonna get a ratech deluxe install kit which includes the wheel bearings,pinion shims, all that good jazz for a complete rear end overhaul......

thinking this was all i needed i called up a local (non-sponsor) to get an estimated price quote......they gave me a quote of 275(which is good since a few other local shops wanted 300-350)....i was thinkin 200 for the gears 125 for the install kit and 275 for the install...so 600bucks, then i wanted a t/a gurdle and was told no labor increase since they have to take the cover off anyways (so add 140 for the gurdle, so total of $740 installed...i can afford that...) then i needed fluids (20 bucks....760)...then since a wheel bearing is going out i prolly needed a new axel shaft (370 for the pair of moser axels so $1130 so far..wow this is adding up quick) so then i needed a solid pinion spacer..(30 bucks 1160) well anyways it totaled out to around 1200 for every thing (and that was after pulling some strings by the installer (would have been 1300 if i bought parts myself and then labor so 1575).....

they were a huge help, so i was pinchin my pennies and was gonna dish out the 1200 (man that sucs i thought to my self)....then they said they didnt wanna do a series 2 gear swap and that i would need a series 3 carrier which was 130-150ish and an extra 50 in labor(well turns out they cant get one so now im stuck in a sinking boat) i dont have enough money for a 12 bolt, and i dont really need one since im a dd a4 w/ just boltons....why is such a pain to install series 2 gears????...and what should i do... i cannot afford a 12bolt or 9" for another 2 months or so but this is my dd and need it to be fixed asap, and just doing the wheelbearing and new axels seems like a big waste....

i cannot say enough good things about the nonsponsor shop, they have been a huge help and understand my situation and were actually willing to spot me a few hundred for a few weeks if need be, and got me the cheaper parts price and saved me 70 on shipping...and, only 275 for labor on 905 dollars worth of parts (keep in mind labor didnt raise after adding the moser axels and t/a gurdle)....i just need my car fixed soon

any input welcomed
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the axle is ok and you can just replace the wheel bearing do that...... if the axle looks/feels suspecious then see if a machine shop can work some mojo on it just to get the car back on the street.

Or just put some new axles/bearings in it and save the money for a 12bolt or a Tq converter.

Hey, i drive a M6 so take this for what it is worth..... go 3.23's or 3.42's with the converter
Old 07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

My first thoughts are $130-$150 for a series 3 is either open or used. Neither is good. And why the extra $50 for labor on a serie 3 carrier? It doesn't require any more work to put a different series in.
My price on one good junkyard axle and one new bearing and seal would be well under $200, doing the work myself.
So you need to do some serious thinking (obviously-thats the point right).
Old 07-18-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the extra 50 in labor was to swap the series 2 carrier to a series 3 carrier......
...this is so aggravating, i dont know what i should do, but i need to think of something soon
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Get an axle repair bearing at Napa, maybe even Autozone, I bought a timken repair bearing there before. These come with a seal and they ride on a different section of the axle than the old bearing did. These are around $50, that, some rtv for the cover and oil should be a cheap reliable fix. And it'll give you time to figure out what you can afford to do later.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

you know what... i dont need any more advice, ive made up my mind...im gonna continue to rockout the 2.73's and the bad wheelbearing, ive realized i turned into the guy who cant afford a 12 bolt but is about to dump 1500 into his weak 10 bolt...ill save for a month and get the 12 bolt.....that way i dont have to worry about it breaking and i dont have to pull out my hair thinkin about this situation anymore.... i have bigger plans for the car as soon as i get another dd