Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Clunking/Brakes Locking. Need Help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Clunking/Brakes Locking. Need Help ASAP!

Ok about a week ago i pulled off my whole caliper assembly off to paint it all and stuck them back on, (just took out the two big bolts 18mm i think, and depressed the pistons a little and slide em back on, tightened adequately). Then a couple days later i noticed a small knocking/rattling kind of sound from the driver rear wheel area, might not have noticed before because of the stereo because it wasnt real bad. It seems a little louder under a left hand curve. It never worsened over several days and I wasnt super worried about it. Well today i stopped at the store and came back out, hopped in the car and started backing up when i touched my brake pedal and let off my rear brakes kinda locked up, almost like i pulled the ebrake. I actually thought someone bumped me for a second, then i did it again and was like what the hell. I just had a short to drive to work so i did and it slowly started getting a clunking kind of sound when i hit bumps but it was driving fine and stopping fine. I let the car sit a while and went out and started it up and put in reverse holding the pedal, it goes into reverse i let off and it moves then when you touch the pedal and let off again it locks, everytime i try. The clunky kind of sound progressively gets about 25% louder coming home and just kinda evened out. When i hit bumps it sounds like something rattles pretty violently. But it is driving fine! I think this is pretty comprehensive, has anyone had this kind of thing happen or know what the hell is wrong with it. I never unhooked anything on the brakes but just those 2 18mm? bolts and i figure if it was something i did it would have started acting up before now. What the hell has happened to make it lock the brakes (maybe ebrake) only when in reverse and also cause that crazy clunking sound?????? Sorry so long, but needed to be detailed. Thanks alot!!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just pulled the wheel off and was looking around and everything looks fine, i pushed and pulled on everything and its all tight, but when i pulled a little bit on the spring itll make a little bit of noise, but not like what i was hearing while driving. When i was driving slow i could hear a small tapping sound that was in time with the tire revolutions.. Anyone??
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost sounds like a wheel stud contacting an ABS sensor or something...but I really don't know. Strange.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After getting up in there with a light and able to see i realized one of my caliper bolts was GONE. I replaced it and now how a slight skuff sound as the wheel turns when i drive like the pad is making very slight contact and still a very small knocking kind of sound. Im gonna drive it to work tomorrow and hope it goes away lol.