Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

looking for the QUIETEST gears!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for the QUIETEST gears!?

Thinking about getting gears, looking for a brand that whine as least as possible
Old 08-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Pretty much all gear sets will be quite if they are setup CORRECTLY!! Lots of people complain about gear noise with gear changes,but most likely they are not set up right from the start and the gear set takes the blame for it, not the install setup.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory GM, and watch how you break them in the first 500miles, then change out your fluid. I had messed mine up the first time, I horsed on it, that was not good, do not do this.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:06 AM

Yukon gears. Expect to pay a premium price if you want a "quiet" gear. The cheaper gears don't have as good of a surface finish/treatment, and will be louder.

Ben T.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like SSDoubleK said, factory gears will be more quiet than performance gears.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

spend the 125 and get them REM'D
Old 08-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by young
Pretty much all gear sets will be quite if they are setup CORRECTLY!! Lots of people complain about gear noise with gear changes,but most likely they are not set up right from the start and the gear set takes the blame for it, not the install setup.
^^

Agreed.

My Motives are silent in operation from what I can tell - I set them up properly and gave them some break in time before really being mean to them though.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

most street gears are the same...they are all pretty much cut the same (the teeth). like stated above for street gears it all depends on how they are setup and how u break them in. IMO I'd go with GM gears.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Default Agreed

I agree that if the gears are set up properly then they will be quiet! I have Richmond 3.73's in my car (supposedly the loudest gear around!), and with the proper set up and break in period they are just as quiet as the factory gears. With less backlash left in them.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

GM brand you say? Where can i find them?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Transamman02
GM brand you say? Where can i find them?
Uh,...You might try a GM dealership
Old 08-26-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

motives are quiet from my experience.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Studytime
Yukon gears. Expect to pay a premium price if you want a "quiet" gear. The cheaper gears don't have as good of a surface finish/treatment, and will be louder.
Wow. I have been building performance differentials for many, many years now and this is the first time I have ever heard of this one !!

The money spent/involved is from finding someone who can set them up correctly and to increase your chances of a quiet gearset would be from you, following the proper break-in procedure.

I will also concur with those who recommended either OE GM or USGear.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

After breaking my 10 bolt twice in 2 years its not worth the trouble to put gears in a stock rear end...save your money and buy a whole new rear
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quietest gears are when whoever is doing the install knows what the f he or she is doing. Do not be fooled by big name shops. I was!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by chicane
Wow. I have been building performance differentials for many, many years now and this is the first time I have ever heard of this one !!

The money spent/involved is from finding someone who can set them up correctly and to increase your chances of a quiet gearset would be from you, following the proper break-in procedure.

I will also concur with those who recommended either OE GM or USGear.
Why? Look at the increased porosity on a cheap Chinese ring and pinion set. The cheap gears are not lapped OR heat treated the same as the better gear sets out there. Also, I've set up a gear set or two in my day.

I'll agree the install has more to do with it than anything, but gear quality will also be a factor.

Also, "proper break in procedure" has made zero affect in my gear installs. After the gears are heat cycled a few times, they are at WOT and it doesn't make a gear set any louder than one that's not been driven hard. Launching at the track though, that's completely different.

Ben T.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why? Look at the increased porosity on a cheap Chinese ring and pinion set. The cheap gears are not lapped OR heat treated the same as the better gear sets out there. Also, I've set up a gear set or two in my day.
An increase in surface porsity ?? If you have done enough gear sets, you would have also noted that factory DANA and OE Chrysler gear sets have the same porosity as what you refer to as the so called "Chinese" sets. Dont you mean Malaysian, Itilian, Indian and the romulan gear sets from Spain ?? There are no gear sets made in China that I am aware of... and even Randy's aftermarket DANA sets are Hencho en Mexico.

Now, I do agree about the hardness, but kinda agree with the surface finish. If you start out with junk, all you have is junk. But the surface finish has nothing to do with strength and or how quiet a gearset is goin to be. However, the heat treat depth has a lot to do with overall strength.

As for "a gear set or two"..... there is a huge difference between "a set or two" and a few of thousand. But, I dont expect you to know that.

Also, "proper break in procedure" has made zero affect in my gear installs. After the gears are heat cycled a few times, they are at WOT and it doesn't make a gear set any louder than one that's not been driven hard. Launching at the track though, that's completely different.
"Proper break in procedure" has everything in the world to do with heat cycling. So I guess it has a total effect in your gear installs.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:54 AM
Teching In

I bought and setup some richmond's from Mark Williams that were given the "Supra-Fin" treatment. No break in time and they have been quiet for many thousands of miles. Kinda of expensive though. YMMV Give them a call they are good people.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:50 AM

Alright Chicane, I'm reading up on this as you very well may be correct on a few specifics. However, the break-in procedure I'm not sure I'll find a clear answer. Who picks the exact distance a gear set has to be driven before it's fully work hardened? I don't think there will be a clear cut answer to this one. Do keep in mind that I did say I DO use a procedure just not the standard "500 mile" procedure. My breakin consists of being easy of the gears and heat cyling them twice. After they've been ran and cooled a few times, I'll roll into the throttle (also no hard shifts), but they won't see abuse from sticky tires for atleast two weeks which would be more than the magical 500 miles.

Also, I haven't set up THOUSANDS of gear sets like you are implying you did. I've also never installed a gears into a Dana/Chrysler.

Ben T.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

My Strange 4.10's are quiet, but howl when accelerating in 6th and letting off the pedal in 6th.

Quick Reply: looking for the QUIETEST gears!?