Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need some help with a strange 12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help with a strange 12 bolt

Hey guys, just bought a used strange 12 bolt from a guy on here. I'm trying to figure out what all I'm gonig to need to bolt this up to my car. I'm pretty sure my stock driveshaft can be used. I know that I'll need to get a 1350 yoke adapter. I'm not quite sure if my Edelbrock non-adjustable TA will mount to it though. Anyone have any ideas if it will? Maybe get some longer bolts and some lock washer and nuts? Also what else am I going to need? It already has backing plates on it, it's a 4 channel rear end which my car is 4 channel also.

Any help appreciated. I think it should go right up without any problems after I found out if my torque arm can be used. Trying to get this stuff all lined up before I get back from overseas.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Bob at Exotic Performance Plus.com His shop has installed hundreds just like yours and they are the best in North America.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque arm should fit with little to no issues...the dimensions of each mounting surface on the 12-bolt and 10-bolt are nearly identical. Bolts will transfer right over with the arm...

The only other thing you'll need to go along with that 1350 conversion u-joint will be a torch to get the stock u-joint out...it is held in with injected nylon that has to be melted to get the old joint out.

I can't think of anything else other than that...do you know if it has sway bar mounts included? My Strange came with them already welded in place...if you don't have them, the stock muffler-clamp style way of mounting the sway bar can be used with a little tweaking in the form of grinding (if you don't rotate the bar a little, it'll hit on the rear cover). If you don't want to do that, you could always do the Spohn bolt-in sway bar mounts that put the sway bar a little lower on the rear...that will also keep it from contacting the cover.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The u-joint shouldn't be a problem. I know a shop that can do that for me.

I'm not sure if it is coming with the sway bar mounts. I'll have to wait another couple of hours before I will know. I have someone picking it up today for me. I hope they do b/c I really don't want to be modifying anything. I still have to drive to chads place to get a retune on the car. But I have to drive to Chicago to get the rear. Trying to do this all in a week is going to be a pita. lol
Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have the mounts already welded in place (Strange started doing this recently, but I'm not sure how long ago this was implemented), and don't want to modify anything, you might look into the bolt-in Spohn sway bar mounts. Those will definitely work...they just cost money.