Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to: Assemble your Moser 9" for fbody

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to: Assemble your Moser 9" for fbody

Just recently ordered my Moser 9" bolt in assembly. Got 35 spline axles, a spool, 4.11 gears, 1350 yoke, LT1 camaro disc brakes, aluminum center section with bolt through billet main caps.

Here is a picture of how the center section comes direct from Moser in a plastic tub.

First thing I did was take the housing out of the box, wipe it down with grease and wax remover from any parts store then prime and paint it with chassis black paint. Next you install the carrier studs, by placing the stud through the housing, stacking some washers onto the stud and use a nut to pull the stud through, I bought an extra set of nuts for under a $1 at a hardware store to toss out after pulling the studs through.

Here is a picture after placing the carrier onto the housing and tightening all the 9/16" nuts onto the studs. You can also see the 4 bolts that go through the center section for the main caps due to the bolt through aluminum center. This is also where I mocked up the axles since they are different lengths and learned that the passenger side axle is shorter than the drivers side, which matters due to the different offset of the caliper backing plates from LH and RH sides.

Next I had the axle bearings pressed onto the axles. The order of assembly is caliper bracket, then 1/8" shim for the LT1 brakes(LS1 brakes omit this step), then the sealed bearing with O-ring side facing towards axle flange, then the press ring. I dropped it off at a local carquest machine shop, waited 30 minutes and it cost me $15 per side. After getting back home I installed the axles part way and left the bearings out and used clear silicone around the whole bearing surface as the directions called for, I'm guessing the o-ring alone might not be enough so they call for silicone as well just in case.

Next using the t-bolts provided in the bag of bolts I installed the backing plates and tightened down the 9/16" nuts to the t-bolts also installed the lock washers as well. I used loctite blue removable lock-tite to prevent the nuts backing off.

Here is a picture from another angle

Next I bolted up the new rotors, pads, and reused the calipers.

Finally bolting on the torque arm mount with the 1 1/8" bolts onto the housing completes the assembly. Blue lock-tite was also used on these bolts since you don't want them coming loose.

For any other questions/comments/applause just ask. If the mods want to sticky this as well I'm sure this will help others out in the future. If there's a way to add the photos to this site rather than link off cardomain that would be a plus too.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks real good
Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Good stuff Steve, I just put mine together tonight too. I'll add a couple things.

Clean out the inside of the housing with brake cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air.

I was told by Scott @ DLS to torque the 9/16" center section nuts to 45-50ft-lbs.

The PASSENGER (RIGHT) side axle is the LONGER axle, driver side being the shorter axle.

RTV the base of the studs where the nut/washer will press down to prevent any leakage out of the studs.

Also when installing the axle seals, I RTV'd all around the inside where they were going to get tapped in. Once I tapped the seal in, I used my finger to apply RTV around the edge of the seal.

I still need to get my bearings pressed on, I like the idea of CarQuest. Also, like you stated, RTV the outside of the bearing once you've installed it.

Torque the hell out of the torque arm mount bolts. As tight as you can go
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 12 bolt I am in the process of putting backing plates on. Do you know if the 1/8 shim applies to that application as well?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

looks good mang.except I noticed you dont have a drain plug installed.running the same setup on my 35th using lt1 rear calipers and rotors.have a currie with a strange center section on mine.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Second Club

whats the big hole in the axle for next ot the studs? mine dont have this
Old 03-20-2007, 02:38 AM
12 Second Club

looks nice. hole next to the studs is to get to the nuts on the plate...

fuerzaws6
Old 03-20-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35th SS
looks good mang.except I noticed you dont have a drain plug installed.running the same setup on my 35th using lt1 rear calipers and rotors.have a currie with a strange center section on mine.
I do have a drain plug, it's in the bottom of the housing in the center, flush mounted so the pics won't show it.

Also the hole in the axles is so you're able to tighten the backing plate nuts, you spin the axle around until you reach each of the 4 t-bolts to put the nut on. Without the hole in the axle you couldn't get a socket onto each nut to tighten it.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my axles didnt come with access holes
Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
I do have a drain plug, it's in the bottom of the housing in the center, flush mounted so the pics won't show it.

Also the hole in the axles is so you're able to tighten the backing plate nuts, you spin the axle around until you reach each of the 4 t-bolts to put the nut on. Without the hole in the axle you couldn't get a socket onto each nut to tighten it.

cool.now slap that bad boy together and on the car.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Nice install information! This will help with a lot of questions.
Would it be okay with you if I added this info to my website? Thanks. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 03-25-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Was looking all over for a 9" write-up. Kudos! Should make it really easy :-D
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oange ss
my axles didnt come with access holes

Necro Post I know, but Same here, no access hole for the nuts. anyone know what the extra spacer is for after the bearings get press on?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

You didn't mention using copper washers under the nuts on the studs that hold the carrier. Are they no longer used?

Al
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

There are washers and a lock washers still used on the front cover
Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
Necro Post I know, but Same here, no access hole for the nuts. anyone know what the extra spacer is for after the bearings get press on?
Here's what i use... just barely enough room. Red loctite to make sure those bastards stay put since you can't put more than about 25 ftlbs on them. When/if you have to pull the axles just torch em and they break loose pretty easy.

The collar you press on after the bearing makes sure the bearing stays put. Not a bad resurrection on this thread though
Attached Thumbnails How to: Assemble your Moser 9" for fbody-_93791_190764.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to: Assemble your Moser 9" for fbody