Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Depth

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Depth

New motive 3.73's for my 6-speed. Stock pinion depth was .025 and I was advised by motive to start at .035. Is that too big of jump, should I start at .030? Also, when I am measuring the preload I used to just snug up the pinion on the last rear ends I've done. I have learned that I should try to get around 15inch pounds of resistance when spinning the pinion. Is this correct? Any advice or experience with motives? Thanks

Benjamin
Old 03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

always start with the original pinion shim from the pinion that came out of the housing you are working on

torque the pinion nut till you get right around 20 inch pounds of rolling torque

install your carrier/ring gear,

set backlash at .008"-.010"

mark your gears and take a pattern in both directions

if it is good, take it all back apart again and install your crush sleeve and pinion seal

if it isnt good add or take away pinion shims to get a good pattern, always re-set backlash after a pinion shim change
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I definetly recommend starting with your original pinion shim. More often than not you will be in the ball park with that. Now if you had a pinion depth tool then you could set the pinion depth the first time to exactly what the manufacturer lapped them in at.

I just put some motive 3.73's in mine with a detroit trutrac diff. I took me 14 hours to get it where I was satisfied......but it doesn't whine one bit. I probably changed pinion depth 10 times.

Do yourself a favor, get the ratech solid pinion spacer. It took me a little longer to get the preload setup right due the shims but it will help your poor 10 bolt maybe maybe last for a while behind that 6 speed.

Or maybe not