Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how to fix my rear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix my rear.

Well, the main reason I parked it before wasn't because of the clutch. I was able to still drive, but I had to keep it real easy. One day I was going to pick up some steaks from food lion, literally less than a mile away, and I found a big problem. As soon as I turned out of my driveway, I got a pop and a jerk in my rear. I thought it was a brake pad stuck or something. and didn't feel anything. Turning off of my road onto another, I get it a few times during the turn. So I pull over to the side and look under the car to find nothing. I drove the rest of the way to Food Lion and back with it popping and jerking everytime that I turned more than 30 degrees. After that, I haven't driven it since fixing the clutch and brakes today.

I was just hoping that it was old diff fluid, so I got some Royal Purple and GM additive that was put in during the clutch swap. While the drive shaft was off, I spun the wheels for about 5 minutes to get the fluid moving around in there. OK, now I'm lubed up.

So here we are today. Freshly finished up on the clutch install and ready to start breaking in the clutch and brakes. As soon as I turn out of my drive way I get the pop. Josh99ta was with me and hopefully he'll give you his description of the problem.

We drove it up and down a side road, and I noticed that it was predominate on the left hand turns and only if I was applying ANY gas through the turn. Remember, new clutch, so I'm not doing anything more than quarter throttle.

I believe it's the posi. What type of options do I have. I'm super broke, but I might be able to get a little bit of money. I want to have the car up and running here soon for the first local annual cruise in.

Anybody have a 4 ch 10bolt laying around or know of one that I could buy from them? I know it's a perfect time to upgrade, but I just can't afford a 9" or anything even half of that in price. For at least a month or more. But it will most likely be about 6 months due to having to buy an new hvac unit for my house.

Again, I call upon the mercy of the boards and ask for help!

Man, this is beginning to be a trend...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it a torsen or an auburn? when you changed the fluid did you notice any metal particals or pieces of worm gears or any sort of evident mechanical damage or did everything look copesetic?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure what's in it. What ever comes factory in the 3.42's.

Nothing looked wrong with the fluid. No metal or anything. I still got the fluid so I'll run a magnet through it.

Where can I buy just a posi?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody ever have something similar happen? It's really wierd that it did for me though. I haven't driven the car "aggressively" at least a few weeks before it happened. With a slipping clutch, it was about impossible even if I wanted to. It literally seemed to happen while sitting in my garage. I don't think I drove it even for a few days before the first symptom. Is it possible to break something backing into my driveway?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I had the exact same thing happen when I busted my 10-bolt. It's the spider gears that are probably sheared, because of this you get a pop in the rear when the rear tires are rotating at different rates. Pull the cover and inspect the inner gears of the carrier and I can almost guarantee you there are a few sheared gears. If that is the only damage, you just need a new carrier and you can swap over your ring gear, then just check backlash and install.